Changes to Roblox Product Development Process

Great update. I’m very happy to hear we’ll be getting more transparency for updates from now on.

Personally, I would suggest hosting polls for updates, or prioritizing community opinion more-so over corporate when it comes to the development side of things. The last thing we want is another “dramatic” update, like with the new materials, the animations, or the audio update.

This is an excellent first step and I really hope we can go beyond this in the near future.

5 Likes

Welcome Nick and Tian! We are super excited about the attention that the development community is going to receive thank you for hearing our concerns and before making changes asking the community on feedback

We are all looking forward to working with you!

5 Likes

Yup, we’ll be sharing roadmap. Maybe not this exact form factor, but something equally good or better for sharing plan.

39 Likes

While I am super excited about the promise of better communication, I’m skeptical about Roblox corporate actually going through with the promise. While it is great that it’s being offered, it’s not the first time this has been promised and tossed out the window as soon as the pitchforks were laid down.

Time will tell what you will do and I do hope that something like this will actually happen going forward.

7 Likes

I think the best place to start with this line is going through updates that were announced 6+ months ago but were never followed up on such as

• what is being done about allowing developers to make audio public to the marketplace, whats our timeframe, how long should we expect audios to be private, when it does go public are you going to allow us to make all the audios we’ve uploaded in the past year public to the marketplace in bulk or are we going to have to do it one-by-one?

• what future plans are in place for the decoration feature (grass on voxel terrain), It has great visuals shown in the RDC preview such as player physics, flowers and a bunch of other great visuals. (Personally, imo procedural generation service would be 10x better)

• Clouds is another big one as well, we’ve seen the original version of it and it received a lot of hate so you guys took a step back and came back with a better version of clouds and we definitely appreciate that but since then we haven’t really heard many updates on it in terms of Phase 2 or 3

• Video Frames is another big topic many developers have its been I believe a little over 3 years now and we still have no word on the status of this whether it be the feature is locked to certain creators at this time or if its going to be only selective users allowed to upload like UGC is currently.

Thankfully we heard news on the shorelines revamp we seen that in the last RDC and now its out so thank the team that worked on that update but we still have those few updates listed above that we haven’t heard anything about and receiving any information on it whether it was pushed to the back burner a time of release is unknown at this time or we hit a roadblock while working on it were trying to work out alternative methods to produce what we envision but certain limitations are preventing us from doing so, just any information on those features or just any new features you guys decide to announce to the public just have someone go back to those post and reply to a few people let us as a community know those great features we seen first pop up in our announcements feed are still being worked on (even if its not actively being worked on full time progression is still being made).

17 Likes

Every few years, this happens. However, this particular one feels very genuine. This has been an ongoing issue on this platform. Roblox releases a feature. People hate it. Roblox says “omg ur gonna love it” and to this day, people don’t. Cycle repeats.

On a lot of the release notes, it’s unclear why things are changed, removed or added. I’ve had questions and @tnavarts is usually, the only vocal person who provides those answers. If this person didn’t, release notes as it stands would be too vague to properly navigate. Most things listed are largely out of context to the average developer and to me if I want to take advantage of anything new.

Outside of that, almost every feature request or bug, even one’s with huge support receive no feedback from staff in terms of a direction. From a developer standpoint, if no one listens, it makes a lot of us feel inconsequential to the platform.

This post doesn’t just represent a noticeable response but, a callback to the beneficial coexistence between Roblox and developers and what truly made this platform what it is today.

I get that not every post warrants a response but, some do. Deafening silence sheds negative light on those who care enough to make said issues known. For example, with all the outages as of late, It should be possible to use Roblox Studio offline.

Furthermore, I think this is a step in the right direction. Thanks for taking the time to post this. Wholesome post.

28 Likes

This is honestly the best news I have heard in a long time! Over the past few years, we have seen Roblox enter the cycle of introducing controversial changes, while completely ignoring community feedback, remaining silent, and giving no reasoning behind changes. This lack of transparency make it feel like Roblox only cared about money and had turned into a completely soulless corporation.

Hopefully this marks a new era where Roblox is transparent and actually mindful of community feedback, providing reasoning for changes and offering a timeline of what to expect in the future. I am excited for the future of Roblox!

Thanks Nick and Tian! Congrats on the job, excited to see you guys shape the future of Roblox!

4 Likes

Can we please have offline mode somehow :heart:

11 Likes

I agree! Many features like breakable welds, RDC grass, rail constraints, procedural skies, physically modelled audio and aerodynamics have had very, very little communication ever since they were announced. The most information we have about the state of those features is pretty much a very small fraction of those having a vague statement about it tucked away in some thread in Development Discussion or something from a year or two ago.

7 Likes

It would be hard to integrate into Studio, at this point, but would be very beneficial. Honestly, I’m hoping for this feature in the near future.

4 Likes

I think that the first priority for you guys is to make an offline mode, before adding features to studio make sure devs can use it in the first place. This would literally change peoples lives

10 Likes

Not at all. Roblox used to run on an off-line environment until like 2018-ish. Since studio has not changed majorly since, it’s more than likely a flag is keeping it always online.

5 Likes

Thank you guys for this. There’s been a lot of opaqueness and uncertainty about the future of Roblox’s interactions with developers and 3rd party software and I’m happy to see we’ll have more of a hand in guiding what we want out of the product development rather than assuming what’s best for us. I hope to eventually see a fully fleshed out ecosystem of support for 3rd party developers to interop with Roblox’s file formats :smiley:!

13 Likes

We have several projects going on surrounding improving communication/feedback! The folks working on these (including myself!) are really passionate about these topics. Can assure you we’re not going to slow down working on this just because this announcement was made, and we have been working on this for a while. :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s good to be constructively critical of our workflows because this helps us improve, thank you for this, and also others that have posted about this here and in #forum-help:forum-features! Hoping we will convince you with the steps we’ll be taking that this is more than just words.

38 Likes

Thank you so much! It’s great to see Roblox listening and acting on community feedback. I hope this is the start of many good solutions to problems from both the community and Roblox!

I’m hyped for the future, cheers Nick and Tian!

3 Likes

Love this! Would love a more clearer communication from the Game Fund team and what kind of teams they are really looking for.

The message they’re giving off is, only studios that have millions in investments and don’t need the funding! Better email communication and most importantly, a confirmation letter that they even received your submission!

Lots of us have wasted time with this already, let’s make it better for other developers hoping to bring new and innovative games to the platform or we’ll be seeing more high quality studios join Blockage Studios, Vibrant Venture and the creators of Unturned off-platform!

4 Likes

Glad to see Roblox making an effort towards the community. Very good that Roblox has listened to the community about the team create addition and hope that this really is just the beginning!

2 Likes

I find it interesting you guys felt the need to put this in writing. The point of not using Team Create is to use local files, which I get, but ending support for local files would have immediately wiped the ability to read previous local files that people created for well over a decade. I’m guessing that this was never the plan… and please don’t make it the plan. They have been useful for archival purposes and I would really like to not have them becomes unreadable.

11 Likes

There is a fair amount of damage in the relationship between the company and Roblox so I personally won’t celebrate too early about this. We’ve been told several times that our feedback is important and it’s great to have this notification, but I want to see action more than words in the coming future.

It’s great to know that the Team Create update has been rolled back so far, but what does that mean? Will it be attempted again in the future with new changes, potentially even silently once it’s left everyone’s minds, or have the teams involved in it realised that sunk cost fallacy does not need to be subscribed to and the work towards this is being scrapped? This post still doesn’t have enough detail that would help me be at ease about the future of these updates.

The last time I communicated on the Team Create thread, I pleaded for a response that wasn’t damage control and was an actual response on the decisions behind all of this. Despite this seeming commitment to hold the developer community’s feedback at heart and the changes were rolled back (which is good), we are still in the dark about the long term decision-making and planning that went into why this feature was even considered at all. That is still something I want to know.

Given that this response says that the team is determined to engage us and keep us informed about the rationale behind decisions, a good place to start is the Team Create update right here and now on this thread. It received an incredible amount of backlash and genuine concerns not only for our workflow but for the platform’s health. Recognising the issue with the update is one thing, but I want Roblox to do more. Still tell us why that was attempted, what went into it, and what the team plans to do with that update. Somehow I don’t believe this is the end of that and it’s worrying. The dismissal of an update should not equal the dismissal for the need to discuss it.

The relationship between developers and the company has deteriorated terribly in the past few years and I want to know that we can have a lasting commitment on restoring what we once had together as Roblox, the platform and its developers. Words are feel-good for the short term but I don’t want to celebrate early only to get smacked in the back a few short months or years later. It’s just that bad now that I can’t share the same joy some of my fellow developers have about this response. It’s a first step but it’s just that; a first step. There’s nothing to say that Roblox won’t just stop at the first step now as they’ve done so many times in the past, promising some and being difficult more.

It might be a bit harsh to expect so much out of new leadership but I want to know that there is going to be a genuine attempt to repair the symbiosis we have and that this won’t be enshrined again as yet another attempt at damage control before attempting to beat us down again. It hurts when Roblox does this to us in spite of what we do for them. I don’t want to have a transient feel-good post; I want a genuine, visible effort to restore the value of community feedback like so many years ago.

It should take less - or better, no - unified outrage from the community for the teams to recognise that there was a misstep. More needs to happen at the drawing board and less after the fact. My personal view is that I am willing to wait for a lot of features that I want and have them take longer to deliver as long as they are well thought out, productive and help us instead of making the platform more difficult to use or trust going forward. A strong product is more important to me than having a lot of features yet not being able to derive any joy out of developing on Roblox.

Please make sure to hold this commitment dearly this time instead of just saying this for the duration of our anger. The Team Create update is only a small portion of the prevalent issues between the company and the developer community. There is still more work to do.

36 Likes

I’d like to ask about Xbox and the hold-ups on Roblox-wide features on that platform. Feature request and more.

I’d imagine Xbox has strict guidelines, but the lack of many features on Xbox makes me question some things. The quality settings slider isn’t available, certain authentication is not supported, chat is non-existent when it used to be, and so much more.

Few issues and feature requests have seen responses in regard to Xbox. I feel my game, PB & Jay, is best played through a console experience. However, Roblox’s lack of transparency and updates for the Xbox platform has, I feel, destroyed it’s community. I for one stopped using Xbox for Roblox due to many reasons as stated above.

Additionally, It is Roblox’s core value to ‘respect the community’. And, I feel the lack of action in regards to the Xbox community would be deemed not respecting that community. The percentage of players on the platform, as of Roblox’s reports/events over the years, seems to have gone down. I believe there to be some correlation.

In regards to ‘taking the long view’, if Roblox is to expand it’s console market, it must take more of a priority in updating the Xbox Roblox app. Some simple fixes could be applied, but taking Roblox’s core value into consideration here, the entire app should be reworked.

I’d also like to know who created the Xbox Roblox app background music. I haven’t been able to find credits regarding that anywhere, but I love the music. I’d love if that was preserved in the possible revamping of the Xbox Roblox app. From research, it seems @asimo3089 created the background and @Tomarty in 2015 animated the background in addition to the camera.

9 Likes