Changes to SpawnLocation!

Hey Creators,

If you haven’t noticed already, we changed the behavior of SpawnLocations :tada:. Previously characters would spawn in the exact center of the spawn. Now with the recent change, characters will spawn in random positions on top of the spawn location.

Before :frowning_face:

After :hugs:

There are some exceptions to this behavior:

• Players will not spawn within 1 stud of each other, however; if there is no room to spawn a new player, that player will spawn on top of another player on the spawn location. (No way to prevent this)
  • Players will not spawn within 1 stud of the edge.
  • If any of the X or Z axes are less than ~3.2, the player will spawn in the exact center of the part. Because of the abovementioned rule having a fallback. (Thanks @As8D for catching this one)

Please let us know if you have any feedback for us or run into any issues in regards to the recent change by replying to this forum thread. :point_right::point_right:

Thanks,
Developer Services Team :fire::fire::fire::dragon_face:

74 Likes

Undocumented behavior:

• If any of the X or Z axes are less than ~3.2, the player will spawn in the exact center of the part. Because of the abovementioned rule having a fallback.

Also, an issue:
Rotated blocks aren’t taken into account. If I have a block that’s rotated 90 degrees, the system will spawn me in the center of the part if the X or Z sizes are too small.
SpawnLocationRotatedBehavior.rbxl (16.1 KB)

Another issue: The system doesn’t account for different shapes - if I use a rotated cylinder part, I can spawn outside of the spawn area. I have attached a demo place to attempt this issue below - you might need to try an extra time if you spawn on the spawn area.
SpawnLocationCylinderBehavior.rbxl (16.1 KB)

10 Likes

After doing some testing with an 8 player local server, I still found that they are still spawning on top of players even though there is still plenty of room for more players to spawn.

TEST 1

TEST 2

TEST 3

I might just be doing something wrong, but I wanted to bring this to your attention just incase.
:blush:

7 Likes

Added to OP.

Posted a ticket. Will get this fixed ASAP.

Seemed fine in my test environment. Will continue to look into this. EDIT: Found the issue, will get this submitted and fixed.

We believe this might just be a side effect of local testing. If you find this is happening on a live server contact me ASAP.

11 Likes

I’ve been waiting for this to come out. Makes spawning a lot more reliable. :smiley:

1 Like

Perhaps it’s an issue with the pseudorandom generation :thinking: if they use the same seed every time it can produce the same results.

(Otherwise, cool! Thanks)

2 Likes

This really helps for what I done in my game, just placing a giant spawn area for all the players to join the lobby. Now I don’t need to worry about players going on the roof if some players go afk right in the center of the spawn.

Please excuse my noob question…

Is this live to all the current games now, or any updates like these at all? or does a person have to shutdown all servers or something else…

I still do hope that spawn lag doesn’t persist as an issue with this change. Some users with bad internet stall in mid air and other players get frozen and can’t move until said person finally loads in or leaves.

2 Likes

This is an issue with character replication across bad networks, not spawnlocations unfortunately

1 Like

but will this fix spawn stacking on regular sized spawns

If there’s no room to spawn new characters, then they will have to stack still, yes. Remedy to this is to increase the spawn size.

1 Like

Not necessarily, until the bug is fixed.

I’m talking about the intended behaviour. If there are bugs, then there are bugs, just report them in the Bug Reports category if you have a repro and they’ll get fixed.

This was a flag that was flipped and is live for all games. No need to shutdown your servers.

That is an issue with how Local Servers work (Which is a completely separate issue and will not be covered within the scope of this change). If this happens on a live server, please let me know. At this time, I am not aware of this happening on live servers.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.