Changing humanoid character body colors results in odd coloring + random parts in the character being colored

• Describe the bug. Describe what is happening when the bug occurs. Describe what you would normally expect to occur.

When coloring (BrickColor) a custom character (MeshParts and Humanoid), random parts in the character get colored and the color is rarely correct.

• How often does the bug happen (Everytime/sometimes/rarely)? What are the steps that reproduce the bug? Please list them in very high detail. Provide simple example places that exhibit the bug and provide description of what you believe should be the behavior.

Every time. Change the color of any part of my custom character and it will change various other parts without actually matching the color I picked. I can provide repro file in private messages.

• Where does the bug happen (www, gametest, etc) Is it level-specific? Is it game specific? Please post a link to the place that exhibits the issue.

ROBLOX-wide, not specific to any game.

• Would a screenshot or video help describe it to someone? If so, post one.

• When did the bug start happening? If we can tie it to a specific release that helps us figure out what we broke.

Has been happening for at least a month now. I did not test it before that.

• Anything else that you would want to know about the bug if it were your job to find and fix it.*

I’m guessing this has to do with Humanoid textures being composited but I have no idea why changing the UpperRightArm would change the left arm in any way. Any temporary workaround would be great but obviously a long-term fix would be ideal.

Please send me a place file where I can test the character you are using. I haven’t been able to repro the issue with my own avatar.

1 Like

Yeah. Long story short the arms are right next to each other in the composite texture and I’m guessing your MeshPart vertices all originally had UV coordinates (0, 0). Those get translated into the corresponding limb’s rect in the composite texture, and they end up lying right on the edge between two (or more) adjacent limbs in the texture. So the UVs are right in between two differently colored pixels, and your mesh looks like it has the average of their color.

A workaround is to change your mesh UVs to all be (.5, .5). When our artists make R15 packages, we tell them not to use UVs near the edge of the texture for the same reason. We haven’t publicly documented anywhere how to make R15 rigs, but we should.

6 Likes

Sorry to revive this old thread but what do you mean by “change your mesh UVs to all be (.5, .5)” we’re having this issue rn

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.