Changing the color of decals doesn't apply until another property is changed

As of the most recent Roblox update, changing the colors of decals won’t update on the player’s end unless a different property (such as Z index or transparency). This happens both in studio and on the Roblox application, which is why I think this may be an engine bug. We started getting reports of this within the past 48 hours if that helps at all.

The last time we published an update prior to today’s workaround was around September 17th, and everything has been working fine up until it randomly stopped working about two days ago.

Visual Aids:

Direct Links: It happened in my game ([CARE BEARS!] IT GIRL 🐻 - Roblox) until I published an update that changes transparency to 0.001 and back to 0 in order to work around this bug in the meantime.
I’ve heard this is also affecting other fashion games that use the decal system for things like faces.

System Info: Intel i7-6700K, NVIDIA RTX 3050, 32 GB RAM
This happens on pretty much any device though, as many players have reported the issue to us using a variety of devices.

Expected behavior

If everything worked properly, changing the Color3 property of a decal in a script would update the color of a decal on the player’s end.

1 Like