"Chapel of the Damned" - New TDM/FFA map for Redshift Arena [ looking for feedback! ]

I do like your use of textures, but the map would visually appeal a lot better if you were to use different textures for the floor / ceiling. Having the same type of brick on both the floor and walls makes it hard to quickly observe what areas are in reach and which are not.

This screenshot is an excellent example of how using only 1 texture results in a mess.
I would suggest to use a slightly more clean texture for the floor, such as (broken/cracked) floor tiles. Bonus if their color is different so it doesn’t blend in with the walls.

8 Likes

Look into getting a different texture for the floor? The brick texture does not do the stairs any justice.
example:

Minor detail, but it’ll be a good idea to fix the stretching on those rocks with a quick fix of the uvs.
Untitled

Populate the scene a little with some crumbling rocks, broken columns, skeleton bones, chains, swords, and whatnot.

@Yozoh @Wsly

Redid the floor texture - how does it look?

I’m also a big fan of these corner meshes I found recently. Really helpful in quickly creating archways, or in this case, a curved floor (or whatever this is called since it’s suspended.)

3 Likes

Anyway to change the “emission” rate of Beams? Currently working on the spirit idea, but this is the only problem I have currently.

Not entirely sure, though here’s a visual if you want to do it differently.

https://goo.gl/images/k2uDGm

1 Like

It seems like its “adventurous” in there. I wish i could download it…

Are they public? I’d appreciate a link if you could provide one.

1 Like

What do you mean, are what public? The floor textures on the floor I’m assuming?

Yes, the textures.

Oh I know, I’m doing that right now too.

They’re present in my SDK for Redshift Arena.

The floor texture, however, is not. Though I plan on adding that in tonight.

With having walls/floors using the same textures, having something to define an edge the player can get up to is pretty important. If its a simple edge, having an extra part running its expanse is enough to say “Hey, there is another area up here, and you can get up here!”

I personally think this would be really useful in this part of the level, as the use of the same texture throught makes the depth of upper levels slightly harder to figure out on first glance, as there isn’t anything to distinguish its seperation.

Suddenly, its crystal clear where an edge is and it shows me my playable space really nicely.

Additionally, landmarking and defining doorways/paths. Defining doors doesn’t necessarily need doing, so long as landmarking is done correctly. What is going on in these different areas? Can they be defined down into a specific thing? In our later images we see a giant pit with lava, How can we emphasise the depth? What can we do to make it even more eye-catching? How can we make this area stand out? As an added bonus finding and enchancing these also makes a level memorable.

After we do that, the player should be able to go through a level, seeing all these landmarks and begin piecing together a map of connections. Failing this however, giving doorways/connectors some definition/traits of that room really helps a player navigate. As you’re using almost the same texture throughout the build, this will be pretty necessary.

2 Likes

I have changed the floor textures to be something more like a floor.

As for the edges of geometry, I’ll definitely be looking into making them more noticeable.

This may be too far for Roblox. Not entirely sure yet. Might just remove the upside down soldier. Currently trying to make the place feel more like hell. Gonna also be updating some of the architecture. Perhaps a staff member could confirm if this is okay or not? :joy:

I’d parody the icon used , also I recommend deleting or bluring the image so that any potential risks of moderation is avoided across the devforums.

Here’s some concept art:

Looks nice, the lights are smooth like how do you get it that way for me it is not a smooth fade out it’s more square and not nice looking.

It even is like that on high quality

As for that one picture that your not sure of with the upside down star, I don’t really think it would be ok. With what it stands for etc, kids play Roblox so don’t know if a perent seen it

1 Like

Looks straight out of 2005 (Not in a bad way…)

1 Like

I believe it could be because I maximized everything under Radeon Settings, except for anti aliasing (which is forced off.)

Although, it could simply be due to the fact I’m using textures and textures make the lights appear more smooth. I’m also using Voxel in this map so there’s that.

Exactly what I was going for!

Though I was trying to go more for a 1999 style with this map (since it was inspired by some of Quake 3’s maps.)

It looks like I could find it in a game from 1998-2005

1 Like

Sounds about spot on! :slight_smile:

The entire game has a 1999 - 2004 art style, so I’m happy it’s not too detailed or overly graphical. :stuck_out_tongue: