CharacterAutoLoads Doesn't Work

I don’t really know where to start with this bug. I have this FPS game where I have CharacterAutoLoads enabled. Respawn time is 4 seconds. If players want to respawn faster they can hold a key and the server will call :LoadCharacter() for them.

About 50% of the time, characters will die and just not respawn. They will be on the death screen, their humanoid’s health will be absolute 0, everything in the game believes they are dead, and yet they will not automatically respawn. They just remain dead indefinitely.

This doesn’t really make alot of sense to me, if the AutoLoad property is enabled, this shouldn’t happen.

Is there a property CharacterAutoLoads looks for, or an event that isn’t firing on death??

The game in question: Gunfight Arena - Roblox

Do you have BreakJointsOnDeath disabled? That would usually cause the character to remain dead infinitely

1 Like

Yes as a matter of fact I do.

It doesn’t cause them to remain dead all the time though, do you know if there’s something in particular I need to do on death? Like destroy the rootpart or something?

1 Like

The .Died event only seems to fire on the client and not the server. I found that destroying the neck joint from the client works. I even tried firing a remote when the humanoid died on the client, so the server kills the humanoid, but even setting the health to 0 did nothing.

To confirm that this is the issue, you can try zooming all the way in when you havent respawned for a while. That seems to fire the Died event on the server for whatever reason

1 Like

In this particular game the camera is locked in first person all ready.

If destroying the neck has an effect, I wonder if the “RequiresNeck” property does anything.

1 Like

If you don’t give the option of the faster respawn, and never call LoadCharacter(), does spawning always work fine?

That would be very difficult to test at the moment. The faster respawn feature is beloved by most of the players, and I wouldn’t feel comfortable removing it until I had a concrete way to reliably trigger the indefinite death bug.

The problem here may be the mixing of auto and manual spawning. Could you try turning CharacterAutoLoads off and taking care of all spawning manually with LoadCharacter()?

I certainly could, but that’s more of just a workaround for the bug reported.

Yes, we will investigate the bug, but I wanted to give you something that could unblock you in the short term

Pushed an update today that made the issue much worse, and I’m now using a workaround.

It seems like putting particle effects inside the character causes this issue to become more frequent.