Chat bubbles appearing at torso, at a loss for solutions

As my game is heavily reliant on player to player communication, I re-enabled bubble chats. This allows players to talk to each other in the physical environment rather than have to scramble for chats on the sidebar. This is especially required when servers expand to >30 players online with many different things happening at once.

LocalScript in ReplicatedFirst:

local ChatService = game:GetService("Chat")
ChatService:RegisterChatCallback(Enum.ChatCallbackType.OnCreatingChatWindow, function()
	return {BubbleChatEnabled = true}
end)

As for the issue, chat bubbles seem to be appearing at people’s torsos. This is only made apparent when the player is a considerable distance from a chatting player. This also applies to the camera being a distance away from oneself’s character.

Near:

Far:

I’m not sure where to go from here in an attempt to solve the issue. Pointers in the right direction or appropriate fixes would be most appreciated.

So far, I have attempted the following solutions:

• Searching the DevForum - no topics on this have been made.
  • Forking the BubbleChat script and modifying Gui objects - got lost.

I have not tried:

• Putting more effort into modifying the Gui objects - I’d preferably like to use the chat script as-is without doing something that could botch the script as a whole.
  • Creating my own bubble chat script - again, I’d like to use the one provided with the Lua Chat System. Trying to create a custom bubble chat script will detract from how much time I can spend on what matters, as the lack of content is already a pressing problem.

Note that the adornee of the bubble chat BillboardGui is head, not the character, torso or humanoid.

4 Likes

This never happened before so the Chat Bubble is probably broken due to a Roblox update.

Try removing your place from the New Gui Backend Beta, there’s a thread for that.

Everything except the Chat Bubbles are fine as they are. I’m not opting out of a feature because one minor thing is an issue. Even if I did want to opt out of it, this isn’t place-specific so I’d have over 600 places to opt out. I need to know whether this is a bug or something I can fix.

I should mention I have been experiencing this bug at my game, and it is not opted in for this beta.

2 Likes

I had noticed this at one of the group games of a group I develop at, since I last noticed it, the bug seems to have been resolved somehow. We haven’t opted into the beta either.

Until we fix this bug, one solution that you can do is fork the BubbleChat script and add the line

BubbleChatScreenGui.IgnoreGuiInset = true

when the BubbleChatScreenGui is created.

3 Likes

Finally we have a fix for this! If no one has noticed, this happens in ALL places that use bubble chat for the past couple of months. Also, should this be moved to #platform-feedback bug reports? I was just about to post a report on this issue until I somehow found this post in the support category.

1 Like

I moved it to the engine bugs category. I have a fix for this issue that should be coming out in about 3 weeks anyway.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.