Chat Filter Filtering Most Non-Caps Sentences

Reproduction Steps
The chat filter suddenly became very aggressive with filtering sentences. From playing around a few games and using the FilterStringAsync, it appears to be filtering most non-caps sentences. Single words are fine a lot of the time, but groups of words aren’t. The following can be run in the developer console in a live game to reproduce this.

warn(game:GetService("TextService"):FilterStringAsync("The filter.",game.Players:GetPlayers()[1].UserId):GetChatForUserAsync(game.Players:GetPlayers()[1].UserId))
> The filter.
warn(game:GetService("TextService"):FilterStringAsync("The filter is becoming super aggressive for some reason.",game.Players:GetPlayers()[1].UserId):GetChatForUserAsync(game.Players:GetPlayers()[1].UserId))
> ########################################################
warn(game:GetService("TextService"):FilterStringAsync("THE FILTER IS BECOMING SUPER AGGRESSIVE FOR SOME REASON",game.Players:GetPlayers()[1].UserId):GetChatForUserAsync(game.Players:GetPlayers()[1].UserId))
> THE FILTER IS BECOMING SUPER AGGRESSIVE FOR SOME REASON.

I have seen this in several active games, ranging from 20 players to 60 players.

Expected Behavior
Previously, caps-lock sentences and non-caps-lock sentences should be filtered as the same and be filtered as expected.

Actual Behavior
Currently, most sentences appear to be filtered unless you use caps lock. Communicating with others in-game without yelling is very complicated. Example of this being done:

Edit: To confirm, it is most, not all, sentences. The sentence “i have to type all caps or my messages will tag” doesn’t get filtered.

Workaround
Using caps-lock works around this problem for now.

Issue Area: Engine
Issue Type: Other
Impact: High
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2021-08-04 13:08:00 (-04:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2021-08-04 02:08:00 (-04:00)

35 Likes

Same! I tried saying “I like string cheese” and it tagged ._.

And I cant say “cant even say”

2 Likes

I can confirm this in every major game I join. Wasn’t happening this morning (EST).

Notice that short messages aren’t filtered.

5 Likes

This is correct, and why I specify “sentences”. I included “The filter.” as an example of a short message that doesn’t get filtered. In the game I am in, pairs of 2-3 words aren’t a problem. There may be a pattern, but neural-network-based systems like Community Sift may be harder to understand (especially as someone who knows nothing of the internals).

2 Likes

Can confirm this appears to be happening in all games with sentences longer than a few words. Caps lock is not working to bypass it for me. This is with totally appropriate, SFW text.

3 Likes

i have that same issue too when i was in my game seeing how one of my players was doing

i hope roblox fixes this bug for in-game chat

1 Like

so is the bug just for long messages instead of shorter ones?

Sentences like:

“ROBLOXS FILTER IS THE BEST LOL”
and,
“hi”
“there how”
“are”
“u”

Will not be tagged. So messages with only one or a few other words will not be tagged, and messages in all caps will not be tagged.

Sentences that WILL be tagged are:

“i am cheekypine a roblox builder”
or,
“roblox chat filter test 123 building scripting headphones lol ez”

So basically, everything people say in the chat will be filtered unless it is capitalized or one word messages.

2 Likes

It seems like it. Notice how the longer messages get censored but the shorter ones don’t.

1 Like

Looks like it might have fixed itself.

My younger brother says it fixed for him, too.

5 Likes

Can confirm the issue appears to be resolved. Ran the original test scenario and it appears to be fine now.

1 Like

I don’t know if it’s temporary, but the issue seems to have resolved for me @3:30pm edt.
I will stay online to see if the issue occurs again.

1 Like

The issue is now occuring again. Edit: It has been fixed.

1 Like

I can also confirm that the glitch was in effect.

I personally think the chat filter is too strict.