Chat Hotkey on ChatInputBarConfiguration Textbox does not work

Hello! So I’m trying to use a custom input textbox for a game, and I want to stick with Roblox’s chat scripts. I configured the ChatInputBarConfiguration.Textbox to my own textbox, and chat works when you click on the textbox and type your message, then click enter.

The problem I’m having is that the hotkey used in chat (default / for US) isn’t being registered to the textbox, and isn’t working. I also attempted to manually check if the hotkey is pressed using UserInputService but I get an error:

Cannot use :CaptureFocus() on a TextBox that is reserved for TextChatService.ChatInputBarConfiguration.

Replication Steps

1. In an empty or used studio, create a ScreenGui and add a Textbox inside
  2. Create a local script inside of StarterGui and enter the following code (configuring ChatInputBarConfiguration.Textbox for PlayerGui)
game.TextChatService:FindFirstChild("ChatInputBarConfiguration").TextBox = game.Players.LocalPlayer.PlayerGui.ScreenGui.TextBox
  1. Ensure behaviour properties are as followed:
    Screenshot 2024-01-28 at 11.29.46 AM

2. Attempt to play the game and chat. You will notice that the slash hotkey to focus the chatbox does not work, but chat works as intended.

The video below demonstrates me attempting to use the slash hotkey. Two things occur, one being that the textbox doesn’t focus as its intended to, and second is that an error occurs when I want to manually detect when a hotkey is pressed and when I manually want to capture focus of the textbox.

A post reply was made by a Roblox staff member regarding this, which led me to believe that it may be a bug:

In summary, using a custom textbox doesn’t allow me to use chat hotkeys including / to type. Not sure if I’m doing something wrong on my end, or if this is a bug.

Specs:
I’m using a 2020 Macbook Pro M1 (with the latest update installed) with the latest version of Roblox Studio installed. If you require any more information regarding my specs, please let me know. Thanks!

2 Likes

We have a ticket for this issue in our system! We’ll get back to you when we have an update. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

are there any updates on this? bug is still present in player & studio :<

1 Like

Just pinged the team for an update

1 Like

I reported this almost a year ago prior and I am surprised there has not been a fix yet

2 Likes