Chat not appearing right in game?

Disclaimer; I don’t have anything inside the Chat service and I never reference the chat service.

Why is the chat bar basically against the top bar, and whenever I chat only the bubble appears, nothing in the chat log?

LoadDefaultChat is true as well

6 Likes

The bar appears like that when you have the chat style set to bubble chat. Bubble chat removes the “chat log” and pushes the chat bar up. There are three ways to rectify this:

1. Use PlayersService::SetChatStyle
  2. Fork the chat script and change ClassicChatEnabled to true
  3. Register a chat callback that has a table with ClassicChatEnabled as true on chat window creation
5 Likes

These seem really difficult for somebody whose just getting into game development and the chat is automatically set to bubble? I swear there used to just be a button in Settings

2 Likes

Theres a button in the settings

2 Likes

Where? I’ve looked in Config place/game as well as the Game settings in studio

1 Like

When publishing game, theres a section “Advanced Settings”, you can set the Chat Type there.

or run this in your command bar:

game:GetService("Players"):SetChatStyle(Enum.ChatStyle.Classic)
1 Like

Tried running that command before, but it did nothing :confused: just repeated itself in the Output

> game:GetService("Players"):SetChatStyle(Enum.ChatStyle.Classic)
21:09:07.493 - Sent message to server to publish.
21:09:08.446 - Current Project published successfully.

And then tested the game in online play (as chat stills seems broken in studio)

1 Like

Also, I ended up copying the chat modules and all that from another game where the chat works perfectly, but it doesn’t work in this other game :confused:

EDIT I had a script disabling the top bar when you join, and re-enable it after the intro has finished playing. I removed this code, and everything comes back, but the chat??

Also noteworthy is this:

ClassChat box is ticked

1 Like

Now the chats just completely removed itself from the game? Checked every script, no script is setting the Chat to false. Loads in a normal game

No custom chats in the game, Chat service is empty (this is being tested in game too, not studio or play solo) I cant type at all now

This bug report needs more information to be actionable. You should link to the game and include steps to reproduce if possible.

No real steps to reproduce really, seems to only occur in this game, but with no justified cause to. Everything has the same settings as over games, the chat just doesn’t want to work

Chat.LoadDefaultChat is false in that game.

I had been messing around with all different settings, it was set to true originally, didn’t work then, set to false, still didnt’ work

Setting it true does fix the whole not chatting, but the OP mentions how it’s not the normal chat (the box being against the top bar and only Bubble chat enabled) even though in the Players Service it has BubbleChat disabled and ClassicChat enabled)

Please make a new thread in Engine Bugs once you are sure this is a bug and you can follow the format that we normally require for bug reports, the first post here is not actionable. Moved to Scripting Support.

I can confirm this is a bug, when you conduct the commands in the command bar, it does not set it in your game, even after you do the commands.

game.Players:SetChatStyle(Enum.ChatStyle.ClassicAndBubble)

game.Players:SetChatStyle(Enum.ChatStyle.Classic)

game.Players:SetChatStyle(Enum.ChatStyle.Bubble)

In the command bar, it shows them as enabled in studio, but when you publish the game it does not work.

@Community_Sage

Repeat of above

The first post here is not appropriate as bug report. File a new thread including all of the details properly formatted (issue description, repro, observed behavior, expected behavior, extra details).

1 Like