Chat notifications only go away if you respond

Reproduction Steps

Receive a chat from someone

(characters)

Expected Behavior

Me to check the chat and the notification to go away.

Actual Behavior

The notification doesn’t go away.

Workaround

Responding to them :astonished::astonished::astonished:

Issue Area: Roblox Website
Page URL: Roblox
Impact: Moderate
Frequency: Constantly

9 Likes

Another workaround that works most of the time is to type something in the chat then backspace till the box is empty then press enter. This is definitely painful since I’ve had to do it a few times.

This is related to website chat, right?

1 Like

Yes this is very irritating for me, because little details like that really bother me for some reason.

It’s also important to note that this bug does not occur on mobile.

2 Likes

This issue is nothing new, I think it’s been around for a couple years now.

Has been happening for about a year and a half now. I thought this was completely intentional, but it does appear to be a bug. I was able to type something into the message box and then delete the message and the notification goes away sometimes, but this doesn’t appear to work anymore for me.

Additionally, chat notification sounds do not play when someone sends a private message (it has played the sound in the past for me).

The website chat sound hasn’t existed since they overhauled the chat system in 2018 or so removing the Party feature (which allowed users in a party to automatically join what the party leader is playing; this was therefore a great feature that unfortunately may have been inappropriately abused) and replacing it with a banner for what the friend is playing as well as the game you previously played, so the removal of the sound sadly may have been an intentional but reasonless change when the chat system was redone.

1 Like

I can confirm this bug has been around since the chat system was introduced.

In fact, for a few years after chat was introduced you had to actually send a message to clear a notification. It’s only in the past few years that typing and then erasing could clear the notification.

Due to it being around for several years now I genuinely believed that it was intentionally that horrible/annoying by design (considering it’s not even close to the first time Roblox has made a god awful UX, and by far won’t be the last)

3 Likes

Thanks for the report! We’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

1 Like

This issue is still occurring as of 8/25/2023.

Any official clarification on this as well?

2 Likes