Chat Shouting System for devs

I made a very simplistic and self-sustaining chat module that uses MessagingService to allow game developers (or others, can be customized) to shout across all servers of their game that have the module present. TextService is used for filtering.

To use: Ensure you are not using ‘devshout’ as a MessagingService topic (or plan to replace it in the script)

1. Download this file: Shout.rbxm (1.4 KB)
  2. Fork the chat and place the module inside ChatModules
  3. On line 16, replace GROUPID and RANKID with the appropriate group and rank, or other system of checking if the user can shout
  4. Optional: Change the color of the shout message on line 34
  5. That’s it! No extra coding is required for the bare-bone system, as all of the code is in one module for simplicity. To shout, send a message like normal except prefix it with “s_”, eg. “s_Hello world!”

Features

• Chatting across all servers of the entire game that have the module (thanks, MessagingService).
  • No need for different UIs! Simply type “s_Message Here” into the chat to send a shout. Easy!
  • Different color to stand out to players
  • Utilizing the System chat channel
  • Filtering and error handling

Use Cases

• Announcing shutdowns or big changes to multiple servers simultaneously.
  • Coordinating testing sessions with multiple places in one universe (what I normally use it for)
  • Can be modified for more than just devs (eg. gamepass to use, Miner’s Haven had a similar system for this, although that was before MessagingService)

Things to Note

• This makes use of the ‘System’ chat channel, which means that the channel needs to be used in order for the message to be seen.
  • The message is seen by all players.
  • When a user shouts, they are not actually talking, so their name will not be seen in chat and they won’t have a chat bubble over their head (if either of those are enabled).

Thanks

46 Likes

This would be neat if you released it as a free model & allow for custom user ID lists.

6 Likes

I could probably release a free model that had support for custom user lists.

1 Like

I like this, very useful for announcing server shutdowns and updates

2 Likes

Hey there!

Is there any way we only can allow admins to the place to say the s_Message? I don’t want everybody to shout a message. ;-;

By default there is a group rank check in the script that only allows members of a rank or higher in a group to shout. Anybody can say “s_Hello world” but only those who are in the rank or higher will actually turn into a shout. Modify line 16 of the module to set this up.

2 Likes