Chat with voice & Audio API [Update]

I agree with this post as well. The current system to share sounds between developers is confusing. If the developer doesn’t know how, or refuses to, provide you with their Universe ID, you have to resort to dodgy API calls to find the required text to enter – and even then, you have to tell the developer how to accept your privacy sharing request, which itself is still not obvious. At the very least, I would appreciate the sharing system being streamlined, because the current one is very obtuse and hard to navigate.

53 Likes

Hopefully the voice API updates will include reading playbackloudness, frequency, as well as allowing post processing effects to be added for more voice-based gameplay features.

45 Likes

Does this mean that Voice Chat will be usable without being mass reported and falsely banned?

Am I allowed to talk without risking my account getting banned again?

This seems great!

EDIT: To those who don’t know what I’m referring to, look at this post:

EDIT 2: No. I apparently cannot talk without being suspended AGAIN.

EDIT 3 (7/19/23): Wow! Still an issue, what a surprise. Thanks roblox for not caring whatsoever.
Voice chat moderation is faulty and garbage, they clearly do not care as this has been an issue for months now.

46 Likes

FINALLY!!! UNCOMMON ROBLOX W.

Also a unmute and mute apis would be good.

Another small suggestion you prob won’t add but would be cool, speech to text. You could have some type of warning saying the experience is using it so the users knows. It could bring a lot of cool stuff into play, like madlibs etc. Just an idea.

39 Likes

Audio is cool but videos are better :roll_eyes:
We want an update on that

43 Likes

Thank you for the update! However I feel like there is much to be desired as you have not given a date for WHEN we can expect the update, for any of these products. Just that “it is coming within a few months.”

This isn’t the first time the developer community has been ghosted about audio (specifically Voice Chat API). A few months ago, you wanted to roll Voice Chat out of Beta and did not acknowledge the most liked reply. And Roblox clients still have that Beta button! What happened to this?

Why does the company feel it necessary to launch the updated Voice Chat API with other products that it can do without? The most requested feature of the Voice Chat API has been consistently; “Give us a way to turn off microphones for certain players.” I do not want to over-simplify or step on toes, but how hard can it be to give developers a bool toggle for this?

Without any kind of Voice Chat API documentation, the traditional way of fixing the platform fell to the developers, creating an SDK that allows you to turn off (in a hacky way) disruptive users. I assume we will need to rely on this method for another few months until you give us a date or a surprise announcement.

Please just come out with the bool toggle for muting and unmuting players first. Please do not hold back the updated Voice Chat API waiting on support for Facial Animations or Generative AI.

Please give us an official and supported way of muting players.

67 Likes

Is this related to the FFlagSelfiViewFeature is not a valid member of Folder “CoreGui.Modules.Modules.Flags” error message which seems to be given when I have beta features turned on and run the game?

26 Likes

There’s still no Push To Talk which is a huge safety concern. You can also enable it unknowingly by clicking through UI.

We’ve been asking for 2 years for a push to talk, surely this wasn’t delayed due to “safety”. Can we please have these concerns addressed before further APIs are built out?

I know many users who refuse to enable voice chat until this is added.

65 Likes

I’m glad we got a post about this. I hope our major concerns can be addressed, like ability to move the bubble, push to talk, and muting API.

24 Likes

Hi,

While I appreciate this post and that new audio APIs are coming out, it really doesn’t really provide any additional information. Here’s a much shorter summary of this post:

Hi developers, we’re still working on Voice-chat APIs. This is hard because of trust-and-safety. We’re still working on this. We plan to allow you to select audio sources, add effects, and more.

Please provide more concrete future information if we’re going to get a post like this in the future. I know you can’t commit to exact times on anything, and that’s fine (actually Roblox should really just commit to things and then apologize), but I’d rather still know what is planned and when, and what risk you think could make that not happen. Stuff like:

• When - Timeline - When are these APIs coming out? 2 weeks? 2 months? 3 months? 1 year? This can help us, as developers, plan around when these things are happening.
  • What? - What tentative capabilities are most important to Roblox? How will they work? This will let us provide additional user feedback.
  • Why? - Why does Roblox care about this stuff? What are Roblox’s goals? As users, we can align our goals to Roblox’s or explain why we don’t think Roblox’s goals are going to be useful to us.
  • Who? - Who are the goals associated with? Who are the users and what do they want. If we’re suppose to be the users, we can easily explain if a goal is aligned with ours or not.
  • How? - How will Roblox go about providing us this functionality? Here’s a great way to underline risk and let us, as users, know why Roblox may not be able to deliver.
  • Where? - Where can I expect future updates, to provide feedback, et cetera.

I assume the goal of this post was to create empathy for Roblox or something. Unless you explain stuff and provide more information we’re never going to be able to provide additional feedback, ask for changes, or even know if we’re suppose to be the target audience for this sort of update.

88 Likes

I really think this is a move in the right direction, Roblox! Ever since voice chat was released, developers have really wanted an API for the service and until now, you either had no voice chat, or had it with no control over it. I also think there should be an option to give permission to the game to unmute you.

19 Likes

Is this finally the sacred voice chat developer API?

18 Likes

On top of this great feedback, Roblox can highlight what the community has said in previous threads. Respond to the comments where you can. There’s a lack of push to talk and basic audio sliders for global voice chat, pull it out and show how you are listening.

Feedback? - What features are the community repeatedly highlighting? How can we show that we’ve heard that feedback? How can we show we’ve adapted? Is there a focus group we could create to better understand these needs? Do you have follow up to any of these stages? Have you shared it? Does the feedback highlight that we need to release a specific feature earlier than the other?

25 Likes

Yeah, a list of comment trends Roblox sees like this:

• Requests to be able to mute and unmute people at turn
  • Ability to detect if voicechat is enabled
  • Ability to detect when someone is talking

Would let us know if our feedback got included or not. Otherwise feedback cycle looks more like this:

Roblox: We hear you.

Users: Cool. Here’s the same 10 things we want.

Roblox: We hear you

Users: Cool. Here’s the same 10 things we want

Roblox: Here’s what we made

Users: Surprised Pikachu Face - That’s not what we asked for!

Roblox: Surprised Pikachu Face

64 Likes

Myself and countless others have received false VC bans, and Roblox refuses to provide any reason for the ban. The ban note has no reason, and appeals team refuses to even review it. This is unacceptable. I am positive I did not break community standards, the fact that no one at Roblox cares when I report this serious moderation exploit is really saddening.

More Here:

Please fix this now

33 Likes

honestly the new roblox announcements have been really exciting!
2023 is probably my most favorite year so far if i don’t count the attributes feature in 2022

23 Likes

A small suggestion would be a Sound type object inside the player instance that gives custom behaviour determined on what the player is saying.

An example would be a Microphone instance
Enabled - Read-only boolean, whether a player has their microphone enabled or if they can even use their microphone in the first place.
Muted - Boolean value that allows the developer to mute the speaker (could be added to admin commands etc)
IsSpeaking - Boolean value based whether the speaker is currently talking into the mic
PlaybackVolume - number that would be able to determine the volume of the user much like Sound.PlaybackVolume
Maybe a few events such as SpeakerStarted and SpeakerEnded

29 Likes

Is it possible to implement some sort of a Mute/Unmute/ Push To Talk feature + Higher VC limit within expierences, For example in a game i am currently creating, Roleplay is involved in a more mature manner, and i would love to use Voice Chat into the game, but also be able to mute/unmute certain people.

I don’t know if that is possible, but i would like to hear from you!

21 Likes

I thought pretty much the same thing after reading this post. It almost felt like a teaser more than an update.

Would have been nice to give us at least a small roadmap for reference so we can start planning certain gameplay mechanics that may interact with these APIs.

24 Likes

So what is this post trying to say? Can someone summarize this because it’s a lot to grasp.

23 Likes