Chat with voice & Audio API [Update]

Hi,

While I appreciate this post and that new audio APIs are coming out, it really doesn’t really provide any additional information. Here’s a much shorter summary of this post:

Hi developers, we’re still working on Voice-chat APIs. This is hard because of trust-and-safety. We’re still working on this. We plan to allow you to select audio sources, add effects, and more.

Please provide more concrete future information if we’re going to get a post like this in the future. I know you can’t commit to exact times on anything, and that’s fine (actually Roblox should really just commit to things and then apologize), but I’d rather still know what is planned and when, and what risk you think could make that not happen. Stuff like:

• When - Timeline - When are these APIs coming out? 2 weeks? 2 months? 3 months? 1 year? This can help us, as developers, plan around when these things are happening.
  • What? - What tentative capabilities are most important to Roblox? How will they work? This will let us provide additional user feedback.
  • Why? - Why does Roblox care about this stuff? What are Roblox’s goals? As users, we can align our goals to Roblox’s or explain why we don’t think Roblox’s goals are going to be useful to us.
  • Who? - Who are the goals associated with? Who are the users and what do they want. If we’re suppose to be the users, we can easily explain if a goal is aligned with ours or not.
  • How? - How will Roblox go about providing us this functionality? Here’s a great way to underline risk and let us, as users, know why Roblox may not be able to deliver.
  • Where? - Where can I expect future updates, to provide feedback, et cetera.

I assume the goal of this post was to create empathy for Roblox or something. Unless you explain stuff and provide more information we’re never going to be able to provide additional feedback, ask for changes, or even know if we’re suppose to be the target audience for this sort of update.

88 Likes

I really think this is a move in the right direction, Roblox! Ever since voice chat was released, developers have really wanted an API for the service and until now, you either had no voice chat, or had it with no control over it. I also think there should be an option to give permission to the game to unmute you.

19 Likes

Is this finally the sacred voice chat developer API?

18 Likes

On top of this great feedback, Roblox can highlight what the community has said in previous threads. Respond to the comments where you can. There’s a lack of push to talk and basic audio sliders for global voice chat, pull it out and show how you are listening.

Feedback? - What features are the community repeatedly highlighting? How can we show that we’ve heard that feedback? How can we show we’ve adapted? Is there a focus group we could create to better understand these needs? Do you have follow up to any of these stages? Have you shared it? Does the feedback highlight that we need to release a specific feature earlier than the other?

25 Likes

Yeah, a list of comment trends Roblox sees like this:

• Requests to be able to mute and unmute people at turn
  • Ability to detect if voicechat is enabled
  • Ability to detect when someone is talking

Would let us know if our feedback got included or not. Otherwise feedback cycle looks more like this:

Roblox: We hear you.

Users: Cool. Here’s the same 10 things we want.

Roblox: We hear you

Users: Cool. Here’s the same 10 things we want

Roblox: Here’s what we made

Users: Surprised Pikachu Face - That’s not what we asked for!

Roblox: Surprised Pikachu Face

64 Likes

Myself and countless others have received false VC bans, and Roblox refuses to provide any reason for the ban. The ban note has no reason, and appeals team refuses to even review it. This is unacceptable. I am positive I did not break community standards, the fact that no one at Roblox cares when I report this serious moderation exploit is really saddening.

More Here:

Please fix this now

33 Likes

honestly the new roblox announcements have been really exciting!
2023 is probably my most favorite year so far if i don’t count the attributes feature in 2022

23 Likes

A small suggestion would be a Sound type object inside the player instance that gives custom behaviour determined on what the player is saying.

An example would be a Microphone instance
Enabled - Read-only boolean, whether a player has their microphone enabled or if they can even use their microphone in the first place.
Muted - Boolean value that allows the developer to mute the speaker (could be added to admin commands etc)
IsSpeaking - Boolean value based whether the speaker is currently talking into the mic
PlaybackVolume - number that would be able to determine the volume of the user much like Sound.PlaybackVolume
Maybe a few events such as SpeakerStarted and SpeakerEnded

29 Likes

Is it possible to implement some sort of a Mute/Unmute/ Push To Talk feature + Higher VC limit within expierences, For example in a game i am currently creating, Roleplay is involved in a more mature manner, and i would love to use Voice Chat into the game, but also be able to mute/unmute certain people.

I don’t know if that is possible, but i would like to hear from you!

21 Likes

I thought pretty much the same thing after reading this post. It almost felt like a teaser more than an update.

Would have been nice to give us at least a small roadmap for reference so we can start planning certain gameplay mechanics that may interact with these APIs.

24 Likes

So what is this post trying to say? Can someone summarize this because it’s a lot to grasp.

23 Likes

Basically saying that they are in fact working on Audio and Spatial Voice APIs

23 Likes

Basically theire adding a range value for Voice Chat, team based Voice Chat (aka the other team cant hear the other team, pretty sure this is what its about), the ability to make your own voice chat enable/disable button (i think?), a few new sound effects and probably some sort of more in depth access to audios but how much more in depth i dont know, still doubt that access will be anything too special

27 Likes

The original post was written like he had to satisfy a minimum word count. Your summary carries the same amount of relevant information as the full post.

You basically read the minds of everyone who read this topic. Well done. :star_struck:

29 Likes

For those unaware, this usually means a few years. cough audio update cough.

Really wish we could see more concrete and accurate timelines from Roblox, this is something we were promised.

34 Likes

It’s amazing that it’s been a year now with admins just glossing over the audio update thread. I am so sick of risking unjust bans for trying to upload audio because 99.999999% of the audios I’ve used for the longest time got ripped away. I don’t have any confidence that they’ll ever fix this.

26 Likes

Well, if you’re reading this… I think it would be cool to have stereo (left and right) components in the workspace sound instances.

It seems to me that all sounds are converted to mono when parented to a part or attachment in the workspace.

I have resorted to creating two sound sources and spread them out manually to simulate a stereo effect.

This is not the same as the spatial audio that was introduced last year where a sound is supposed to fill a zone based on a region or part bound. That feature does not provide a stereo, it just widens the range of the mono sound to the part bounds.

A stereo effect childed to the Sound instance would be very useful to facilitate this, just use the orientation of the parent object to determine direction and have a ‘width’ setting in the audio sound effect.

25 Likes

Are they planning on bring back Audios and adding a proper Copyright System that can detect Copyrighted music much like Youtube? cause many devs dont know how to make Music and it would be much easier on especially smaller/independent devs if they could use Free Use Audios!

27 Likes

Yeah, that would be a simple solution. The copyright detection on YouTube is scary accurate.

32 Likes

To be honestly truthful, it’s still disappointing to have not seen a mention (except one, two and maybe more by regular users) regarding the ability to sort players into channels, allowing to control which players can hear and be heard by other players. I would imagine this API would be best implemented in a way similar to Collision Filtering (Collision Groups API).

Of course I have no experience with creating these sorts of systems or the APIs to interact with them, but I personally think implementing this feature is something that should be looked into. The collision API is already familiar to developers on the platform, and this feature would pave the way for more lucrative use-cases for the Chat with Voice feature on Roblox (such as letting developers have the engine automatically sort users in voice channels based on Teams).

I do see some Trust & Safety concerns with a feature such as this, though, such as it enabling game developers to isolate themselves and other players in a ‘private’ channel for malicious purposes (those of which I will refrain from mentioning here, but you should get the gist).

32 Likes