Check Internet Connection - Global Server Crashing Bug

Hi, players within my game RoVille (šŸŒ† RoVille [HEIST!] - Roblox) have been experiencing the same issue very frequently. It could be due to servers running out of memory, but I canā€™t know for sure. Would it be possible to check server crash logs to see if there are any commonalities within this situation?

I think it would also be very benificial if developers were also given information for server crash logs so we could manually diagnose similar issues.

Edit: After further investigation of server memory, Iā€™ve noticed that some old servers with many players have 6GB (!) of untracked memory

My games has a catalog of user-generated houses which players can preview before purchasing, these house previews can take a lot of memory when stored in ServerStorage. When house previews get deleted, it seems like all their memory gets removed from PlaceMemory on the server and goes straight to UntrackedMemory, causing it to rack up substaintially as more players in the server preview large houses that take up >100MB each

I thought this was just my network connection issue NOW am knowing what happened.it started happening for me after the latest update.

Hi everyone. Thank you for your reports. Starting yesterday morning we are performing some experimentations of tuning the number of threads allowed for tasks processing on RCC, affecting 10-20% of the user base. We are doing it because weā€™ve found out that in many cases the currently allowed number of threads is excessive and leads to suboptimal performance of the RCCs.

However, weā€™ve started to discover that the new thread settings, we are testing, may have caused some experiences to leak memory. Right now we are investigating what are the causes behind that and working to mitigate those problems.

1 Like

Ok, disregard it. I checked specifically for all the places mentioned in the thread and I donā€™t think any of them to be affected by the new thread policies. The rate of crashes for all of them doesnā€™t seem to change with the new release. Quick investigation shows that aforementioned experiences may have independent experience-specific memory management issues. The one with Halifax Bus Simulator - Roblox seems to be already fixed around May 20-21.

Soā€¦ how do you fix this issue? Or is there no solution yet?

I checked my firewall rules and I have nothing in there thats anything like the screenshot you attached. Are you sure its from roblox? Its more likely that is malware.

I researched the telemetry on the places mentioned and it looks like the causes behind them going out-of-memory and eventually crash are different. That could mean they idependently trigger different defects of Roblox platform but as well it could mean that memory is leaking due to undesired behavior of the experiencesā€™ code.

From the Roblox side we are undertaking continuous efforts to (a) identify and eradicate possible bugs in Roblox code, (b) provide solid developers APIs that would help to avoid bugs in the experiences code, and (c) supply the developers with tools and insights allowing to understand performance and stability issues.

The solution for the developers community and the internal Roblox team is to work together in order constantly improve and maintain the stability of all the experiences on the platform. Once again, it doesnā€™t seem that there is one specific bug that makes different experience to crash, probably, there are several independent bug possibly both in Roblox platform and experiences code. Letā€™s try to help each other to find and fix them.

4 Likes

My antivirus doesnā€™t pick anything up, and Iā€™ve yet to see any strange activity occuring on my computer. One thing I did notice was that when I uninstalled roblox, two ā€œping reducerā€ rules were added, with the only diffence was it being allowed for public and private networks. So Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s something related to roblox.

This is good to know. I would love to be able to have more insight as a developer on performance and stability issues. Since my game is pretty large, with hundreds of instances constantly being streamed in and out for every player as well as many models in the game constantly being created and removed, its difficult with the current tools provided to properly pinpoint certain issues. Really looking forward for better tools that could help us improve both client and server performance.