Chinese Community on DevForum

Roblox has been a popular game for such a massive community ever since its release in 2006 where it begin slowly with few products and nowadays is continuing to improve the game engine and create interesting services, programs, and features for Roblox creators (i.e. developers).

However, when we think of the word “community”, we think of an international society around the globe… Although, there are countries that are quite restricted that which leads to being separated from other cultures, and one of them that I would to mention is China…

In December 2020, both companies Roblox Corporation and Tencent partnered together to create “LuoBuLeSi” (popularly known as Luobu) with the function to gather all players from China to play their own Roblox version while as well follow a few guidelines for experiences to be accepted to the platform. Yet, with new rules of China changing of time for children to play daily and the age limit, it affected the project, resulting in not only the “sunset of the demo journey”, and yes delete more than 5 million users. As the Chinese platform never returned, there is one part of the project that remains active, the Luobu forum.

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to see the Chinese creators be far away from the original platform of Roblox and receive few essential news from Luobu. Therefore, it would be good to sunset overall and reunite them with our global community and create their category here, at Developer Forum.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve tons of experiences using the forum because they would be able to understand what new features are consistently being discussed; Provide us with interesting feedback on what the current services can have as additional information to help us overall; Assist users with their problems regarding the specific development area (i.e scripting, building, etc.); So much more.

1 Like

I don’t think sunsetting it would have the effect you think.
Chinese portions of platforms, such as Roblox and Steam, are seperate and are under VERY strict moderation. This is not so much a choice made by these platforms, but by the Chinese government. Having these alternate parts of the platform are the only reason creators and players in China can play/make anything here. Sunsetting it removes their ability to do so and Roblox loses them.

1 Like

Not sure what you mean by this but as far as I am aware, it’d be illegal under the CCP’s law for their citizens to connect to websites outside of the Great Firewall cus [insert political reasons that aren’t really fit for this forum]. That is why Roblox has to have separate websites all together for both LuoBu and regular Roblox.

1 Like

This is infeasible because of different legal/policy requirements with respect to PII in different regions.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

6 Likes