Chrome application poor navigation user experience

A while ago, I decided to install the Chrome application for DevForum. However, I’m experiencing a severe user experience when I try to navigate between pages(I really like going back and forth on pages). Due to the lack of buttons below to use, it is quite cumbersome trying to navigate back and forth.

Skärmavbild 2021-03-19 kl. 15.47.20

Additionally, there seem to be no way of linking specific links within the forum(like groups), so I have to go all the way back to the browser to obtain the link.

Is it possible to add these buttons to the Chrome app and also adding methods to copy link to clipboard on specific pages?

4 Likes

This was also suggested in the main Discourse site, so I absolutely think this should be implemented. I use the Discourse PWA feature on mobile and this would come handy almost all the times.

2 Likes

You can easily switch forward and back using these keyboard shortcuts:

WINDOWS

MAC

I do agree, however, that there should be a clear visual way to navigate between pages in the app’s history.

A built-in feature would be preferrable so we can have mobile support for the PWA too

The Mac shortcuts are inconvenient for Nordic keyboards, but it would also be a better addition if shortcuts were manageable.

4 Likes

Alternatively:

But it is a bit annoying to go back and forth using this.

2 Likes

There seems to be an alternative. The feature I linked above is from 2018.

1 Like

Yep, and if you click on the hamburger icon in the top right, then keyboard shortcuts, you’ll be greeted with an extensive list:

4 Likes

Mobile support for PWAs already exists.

@Operatik, PWAs are meant to provide an app-like experience. Keyboard shortcuts that have already been mentioned above would probably not detract from the app-like experience (unlike buttons in an address bar for example).

I wish that the Roblox website was a PWA. That would be even better. :grinning:

I know that, I mentioned that I use it for the forum everyday. But the features that Operatik is mentioning aren’t available on mobile, and since we don’t have any kind of shortcuts here a built-in feature could really help improve UX

Have you considered addressing the problem with Google?