Chrome Now Thinks The Search Bar is The Login Page

Ever since Friday evening, my browser (Google Chrome), seems to believe that the Search bar on the website is actually the username field of the login page. It autofills it with my email every time.

Obviously this is a serious issue because if I were to screenshare or livestream myself navigating anywhere on the Roblox website, my personal email would be displayed immediately.

In order to fix this on my end I had to disable autofill for create.roblox.com specifically.

36 Likes

This seems to be more of a Chrome error. Try reporting this to Google Chrome.

Try updating Chrome and seeing if the issue still persists. (If it happens on other browsers too, then it might be a roblox.com bug)

7 Likes

I believe it is more a roblox issue. Something about the search bar’s metadata was changed. Chrome doesn’t automatically assume every textbox on a website is a login field, and until very recently it never mistook the searchbar as one.

8 Likes

Try testing this autofill on another browser. If it persists, then it is a roblox issue.

(NOTE: Try using a Chromium browser since they are most similar to Google Chrome)

4 Likes

I just tried to reproduce this, as far as I can tell it only affects the search bar on the talent hub, and only on chrome, I also tested in safari.

My guess is that it is this username placeholder, im not sure why chrome is relying on that for autofill though.

3 Likes

Okay, just tested it. It does occur on Microsoft Edge as well. It’s related to DevEx. It believes that the search bar on the website is the email bar on the DevEx page.

4 Likes

That mean’s it’s an issue with Roblox supporting autofill on Chromium based browsers. It probably doesn’t effect WebKit (Safari).

4 Likes

I had this same issue and inspected to get this:

It didn’t seem like it would be an issue but this morning I had an issue where I accepted a ‘join’ notification from a friend while I was on the account I use for building but when the Roblox player launched and I joined - it was on my main account, which I wasn’t even logged in as.

So I had one account active in the browser and my other account in game on the Roblox player.

I wondered how this could happen until I realized that for whatever reason (maybe having something to do with the bundle detector?) - that search field placeholder was loading my live auto-fill login information and when the player launched, I was logged in via the search bar placeholder.

This does not seem very secure, and it was alarming to say the least.

eta: not the bundle detector, I was looking at the wrong thing

2 Likes

Can reproduce the issue:

Doesn’t happen on Opera GX:

3 Likes

It doesn’t work on Firefox either for me, just seems to be Chrome. When in Chrome, my login information auto-fills in every instance of a search bar site-wide.

2 Likes

This is also happening to me, pretty annoying.

Sometimes it even automatically shows the search categories dropdown upon loading a page and I have to click out of it.

3 Likes

Hey, thanks for reporting this. We rolled out a fix a few moments ago.

Are you still running into this bug after refreshing the page?

6 Likes

This issue has been resolved for me. Thanks!

2 Likes

This just started happening to me again.

1 Like

This has started again. My username is populating in the search bar just like before, and is acting like a sub-login to the app.

1 Like

The issue still persists for me, I’m on the up-to-date version of chrome.

1 Like

This is also happening to me on both macOS and Windows 11. This only seems to affect roblox.com on Chrome, no issues with Safari.

macOS
Chrome Version: Version 117.0.5938.149 (Official Build) (arm64)

Windows 11
Chrome Version: Version 117.0.5938.150 (Official Build) (64-bit)

This is still happening for me on chrome

same here, pretty annoying… hope a fix comes soon

1 Like

just started happening to me too