City Explorer using Tile Maps - OPEN SOURCE

note: apologies, but this demo game is no longer being maintained.

Inspired by @Widgeon’s AirX 2020 Testing place, I’ve built my own tile map renderer from the ground up using http://openstreetmap.org/ and https://osmbuildings.org/, with the intention of just allowing you to explore any city with as much detail as possible.
My game currently renders buildings, roads, oceans, freshwater bodies/rivers, railways, and foot paths.

I’m also working on using these data sources to create an open source world map in Roblox similar to Google Maps or OpenStreetMap.

Play the game:

See the source code:

In-game screenshots:
Venice

Chicago

San Francisco

Istanbul

Atlanta

Manhattan

29 Likes

Woah! I’m interested just by the screenshots you’ve provided.

Very unqiue and cool! Good luck! :smiley:

1 Like

WOW. Incredible work here, I am impressed. It is really fun exploring a mini version of your own city

1 Like

This is looking awesome! Also, do you know how to post in the Collaboration section? The button is grey for me.

This is really amazing. I mean, this is really cool, it is interesting to see real world cities created in Roblox. But anyways, this is brilliant.

1 Like

this is very cool, tried it out and its even cooler

1 Like

This is literally the coolest thing I’ve seen in a long time.

Color me impressed!

Going off the screenshots you provided (and also playing the game), this is one of the most impressive uses of ROBLOX technology I have ever seen even in my 3 years on the platform.

The way that you can use technology in this way, to create this generator, is astonishing!

If you don’t mind me asking, is the generator automatic or do you have to program it to other locations?

Thanks for allowing us to give feedback.

I’m impressed on the cities! Good game I’d say!

There’s a server list when you join where you can join an existing server for a location or enter a city name, landmark, or address.

1 Like

Just want to say that it does not work anymore all it does is just load looked like it was a good game though.

1 Like

Same to me, It just doesn’t load cities, maps, and everything.

Does it only load the ground for you?

Yes, only the ground load.

are you having the same problem?

Yes I was hoping this could work It would look so cool.