Clarification on code flagged for safety review

Jesus Christ, you can’t add this update, no you can’t !
Every developer’s code is his code and nobody has the right to see it, personally I don’t want any human from your team to check my code, and considering how bad your moderation system and bots are, obviously I could get my account banned for nothing. What if an exploiter gets every code leaked just because of a “security” issue? We all risk our games to get exploited and maybe stolen, considering you will also check the server-side code! I highly suggest improving your current moderation system and forgetting about this horrible idea.

4 Likes

This update has existed for a long time, I for one have always assumed Roblox looked at my code so it came as a shock to me that others didn’t think Roblox would look at our code.

4 Likes

Well, ROBLOX liked to enforce a phrase/policy of your code is your code. Assuming they are saying we own the rights to what we make. But I’m guessing the right to keep my content private from other people isn’t a thing and now I would have to worry about my API keys being compromised. I highly doubt you would need a “specially-trained” team to decide whether code has intentional profanity or not. But who knows you can get banned for pretty much anything now a days.

EDIT: Ya now that I think on it, the “team” is probably the regular moderation team that does pretty much everything. Calling them “specially-trained” is probably to put minds at ease. But I still have no trust for the team to keep code private and safe while reviewing it. I’m going to be looking into obfuscation options for the future due to this.

1 Like

Owning your content is not the same as being the only one with the right to inspect that content. Roblox is allowed to inspect your content as per TOS (doesn’t mean they own the copyright to it, you still own it).

Yes, because they obviously want to lie to their community. Should I fetch you the tinfoil hat from the cupboard?

Regular moderators who review assets are not technical and wouldn’t be the ones reviewing the code.

5 Likes

Ditto. I am also planning to move away from Roblox as soon as possible. I intend to release the game I am working on currently, and once I do, (regardless of whether I make profits on Roblox or not) I will begin rewriting that same game on Unity (which I am already very familiar with, so yay). The hope is that I make a decent chunk of change on Roblox so I can fund or at least kickstart my ambitions elsewhere. I am sick of the negligence of Roblox in their handling of developer affairs.

3 Likes

Does this system automatically flag utf-8 encoded strings?

print("\x48\x65\x6C\x6C\x6F\x20\x6D\x79\x20\x6E\x61\x6D\x65\x20\x69\x73\x20\x57\x65\x62\x6D\x6F\x74\x69\x6F\x6E")

Hello my name is Webmotion

10 Likes

Alright, I should of probably added this is speculation which is a my bad. But you don’t need to actively become condescending to me because I have a different opinion. But if we were to move on to a different topic(most likely more important) instead of my speculation, this is probably my biggest concern then.

1 Like

Has nothing to do with opinion – if you don’t want to be called out for baseless speculation, then don’t speculate and actually keep it objective / describe it clearly as baseless speculation that shouldn’t be taken seriously. :+1:

Let’s all focus on the actual feedback here and not resort to unwarranted jabs. (includes the people above talking about moving to another game development platform because of this – let’s be real, you won’t, and this is really not that big of a deal)

6 Likes

If a parent doesn’t understand studio their little tyke doesn’t need to enter our realm. Also, Roblox themselves block u13 users from developer communities so they shouldn’t be catering to u13 devs when filtering code because, for the most part, they don’t exist.

3 Likes

I believe Roblox said we can place extra chat filters. How is it possible that Roblox said extra chat filters are allowed then this happens? Roblox should clarify things.

More than one, actually. One of them goes against what Roblox themselves said in that secondary filters are allowed. Dude got terminated for one.

3 Likes

instead of making more jobs for the moderation team to do
they should work on doing those jobs they already have better instead of making even more work that does not help anyone and just waste time and money

being a developer is already pretty hard but this is just making it worse because why would you moderate something that normal players cant see

anyways if roblox thinks a game has bad stuff in it they can just put it under review no need for this system its just effecting more innocent people that just happened to put heck in a comment

3 Likes

Yeah, you got the point, they have the rights to do that, but the fact that Roblox is free to check code whenever the system detects it as not allowed is kind of disturbing, considering possible algorithm errors to start even more controversy…

Also remember how Roblox actually removed their own poor guests… :sleepy:

1 Like

Hard disagree. This is a very major problem and this is an unjustifiable invasion of developer autonomy. No complaints have been made regarding inappropriate content in scripts as far as I have seen and this moderation only gets in the way anyways.

3 Likes

if you’re taking in account for copyright, look into the Canadian copyright laws and others country.

3 Likes

look as long as your scripts follow the Terms of Service you will not be affected OK! ok

3 Likes

This is going to be like the closure of private models, but then worse. At the closure of private models, most people were against, but some supported. This update is different, nobody is liking this. Roblox, you’re destroying your development community again.

I think I should considering stopping with engineering at Roblox. This is a big demotivation to continue with working on the development on Roblox. This will result in lots of false-positives. On top of that, my scripts are containing confidential information and trade secrets. I don’t want to let Roblox review that.

9 Likes

This change should be rolled back. There’s no party getting the advantage of this change. It’s only costing time and money for Roblox, and it’s wasting the time and money of developers too. Revenue will fluctuate, I’m sure.

6 Likes

People have already been falsely moderated for having additional chat filters, so rest assured false moderation is part of the package.

6 Likes

Also some people already got banned for this for some reason. Like why this is not needed I think us as Roblox Dev’s can handle this ourselves we don’t need you guys reading over out scripts. Like you said

so why do we need you guys going over it. I strongly disagree.

5 Likes