Clarification on code flagged for safety review

instead of making more jobs for the moderation team to do
they should work on doing those jobs they already have better instead of making even more work that does not help anyone and just waste time and money

being a developer is already pretty hard but this is just making it worse because why would you moderate something that normal players cant see

anyways if roblox thinks a game has bad stuff in it they can just put it under review no need for this system its just effecting more innocent people that just happened to put heck in a comment

3 Likes

Yeah, you got the point, they have the rights to do that, but the fact that Roblox is free to check code whenever the system detects it as not allowed is kind of disturbing, considering possible algorithm errors to start even more controversy…

Also remember how Roblox actually removed their own poor guests… :sleepy:

1 Like

Hard disagree. This is a very major problem and this is an unjustifiable invasion of developer autonomy. No complaints have been made regarding inappropriate content in scripts as far as I have seen and this moderation only gets in the way anyways.

3 Likes

if you’re taking in account for copyright, look into the Canadian copyright laws and others country.

3 Likes

look as long as your scripts follow the Terms of Service you will not be affected OK! ok

3 Likes

This is going to be like the closure of private models, but then worse. At the closure of private models, most people were against, but some supported. This update is different, nobody is liking this. Roblox, you’re destroying your development community again.

I think I should considering stopping with engineering at Roblox. This is a big demotivation to continue with working on the development on Roblox. This will result in lots of false-positives. On top of that, my scripts are containing confidential information and trade secrets. I don’t want to let Roblox review that.

9 Likes

This change should be rolled back. There’s no party getting the advantage of this change. It’s only costing time and money for Roblox, and it’s wasting the time and money of developers too. Revenue will fluctuate, I’m sure.

6 Likes

People have already been falsely moderated for having additional chat filters, so rest assured false moderation is part of the package.

6 Likes

Also some people already got banned for this for some reason. Like why this is not needed I think us as Roblox Dev’s can handle this ourselves we don’t need you guys reading over out scripts. Like you said

so why do we need you guys going over it. I strongly disagree.

5 Likes

Why not send scripts through the chat filter?

Instead of getting banned for having now disallowed things in old scripts, the bad parts could simply be hashtagged out by the chat filter.

Alternatively, there could be auto obfuscation to remove bad words so something like this:

local bad_word = "frick"

would become

local _ do local __=getfenv()local ___=getfenv()["\x67\x65\x74\x66\x65\x6E\x76"]()local ____=___["\x73\x74\x72\x69\x6E\x67"]local _____=____["\x63\x68\x61\x72"]local ______=___["\x6D\x61\x74\x68"]local _______=______["\x6D\x61\x78"]local ________=______["\x6D\x69\x6E"]local _________=__["\x67\x65\x74\x66\x65\x6E\x76"]()["\x62\x69\x74\x33\x32"]local __________,___________,____________,_____________=_________["\x62\x61\x6E\x64"],_________["\x62\x6F\x72"],_________["\x62\x78\x6F\x72"],_________["\x62\x6E\x6F\x74"]local ________________________________________________________________________________________________ = _________["\x6C\x73\x68\x69\x66\x74"]local ______________=0X5F3759DF ______________=_____________(______________)local function _______________(________________,_________________)________________=____________(________________,_________________)_________________=____________(_________________,________________)________________=____________(________________,_________________)________________=____________(________________,_________________)_________________=____________(_________________,________________)________________=____________(________________,_________________)while ____________(_________________,0)~=0 do ________________,_________________=____________(________________,_________________),________________________________________________________________________________________________(__________(________________,_________________),-0X1)end ________________=____________(________________,_________________)_________________=____________(_________________,________________)________________ =____________(________________,_________________)________________=____________(________________,_________________)_________________=____________(_________________,________________)________________=____________(________________,_________________)return _____________(_____________(___________(__________(________________,________________))))end ______________=_______________(______________,_____________(______________))local ___________________________________=____["\x73\x75\x62"](____["\x66\x6F\x72\x6D\x61\x74"]("\x25\x78",______________),0X5,-0X4)local _________________________________________=____["\x62\x79\x74\x65"](___________________________________,-0X1,0X1)_=_____(_________________________________________).._____(_______(0B1101001,_________________________________________),________(_________________________________________,0B1100011),_______(_________________________________________,0B1101011,_________________________________________+0B1))_=____["\x6D\x61\x74\x63\x68"](_["\x6D\x61\x74\x63\x68"](_,"\x28\x2E\x3F\x29\x28\x25\x7A\x2A\x25\x73\x2A\x25\x64\x3F\x29\x28\x25\x32\x29"),_____(0X2E)).._____(0B1110010).._["\x6D\x61\x74\x63\x68"](_,"\x28\x2E\x2A\x29\x28\x25\x7A\x2A\x25\x73\x2A\x25\x64\x3F\x29\x28\x25\x32\x29",0B10)end

Anyone reading the script probably wouldn’t know that _ is being set to ‘frick’, so bad words could be removed this way.

Since most of the issues are content in comments, all comments could be removed whenever the script is serialized (saved) to remove most of issues.

3 Likes

The question is why should we have to? the only people able to read our scripts is roblox, and if exploiters can read our client side code then they don’t deserve protection from bad language.

3 Likes

The lack of transparency between Roblox and developers are sad. This post shows the terrible relationship. This is a waste of moderation. After 1000 posts, Roblox doesn’t even have a response, and the majority of them are against this moderation. My code is my code and Roblox does not have the right to look at my personal code. Even Roblox supports this fact:

Secondly, why are we moderating code that nobody else (except other developers in Team Create) will see? What is the point?

Finally, we have API keys and HTTPS calls to different places that we probably don’t want to reveal to somebody else.

Yeah, this update is terrible, by-far the worst of them all. Look at your replies Roblox. You will see that most of them hate this update. Roblox, if you want to be transparent, you must communicate with your developers that made your platform the way it is now.

5 Likes

The only way for people to see your code is with the following ways:

1. Exploiting
  2. Copying the game (if it’s uncopylocked)
  3. Group games

I see this system as completely unnecessary, as it hinders moderators from going after serious violations of the terms of service, and it makes developers vulnerable to false bans. If Roblox is actually concerned about a <13 kid going to an uncopylocked game, copying it and viewing every single line in every script, then Roblox should simply set up an automatic filter that tags comments when comments trigger the filter. There will likely be some false positives, if not tons, so when a comment gets tagged, the player’s account isn’t moderated. The inappropriate comment gets tagged and it’s over.

There has been massive criticism about this system in this topic (and yes, I am a critic) Roblox doesn’t seem to be listening. It looks like Roblox is following a road of updates that was pre-planned. But Roblox doesn’t have to follow a strict roadmap. They should probably listen to their users more and do what’s best for the platform.

I am afraid that this post and 1,000 others are going to fall on deaf ears.

3 Likes

it’s basic common logic. It doesn’t take much to figure out that
game.Workspace.Part.Brickcolor = Brickcolor.new("Realy red")
isn’t getting flagged.

3 Likes

This system also raises a major security vulnerability. A rogue moderator would have access to all the code in games, so they could break the games, give themselves perks, or take all that code and sell it to 3rd parties. Roblox outsources it’s moderation to a 3rd party, according to Roblox wiki who moderate different sites with different guidelines. This explains why Roblox’s moderation is seriously broken. They could sell or share scripts with others, who then might create competing games inside and outside of Roblox. Roblox’s main initiative is supposed to be make money and keep a clean reputation, so they appear to be doing things that aren’t good for making money; some are hurting their users directly, their users are where Roblox’s $400M+ revenue comes from. If Roblox is hurting it’s own users and security, I wouldn’t be surprised if their revenue starts to go down.

4 Likes

Scripting is a lot more than just setting a part’s brick color to red; there are plenty of opportunities for moderation to occur under this system.

1 Like

I’ve only been developing on Roblox for under a year, and with all the cool updates coming out like UIGradients and the Avatar Evolution thing, I was really excited and happy that I joined the club at the right time. There was huge growth in the platform.

Now it’s all meaningless. Of course, there were flags along the way - from the ~30% DevEx rate to the useless moderation system that I’m not even going to get into because it’s so useless, it’s been more of a pain watching as I’ve been learning the fundamentals of the API as a scripter.

It’s like we don’t exist - you hold RDC, people get psyched for it because they feel like you genuinely care. But it’s very apparent that you don’t. You don’t care, and it shows. It’s been almost a week, no response. Nothing. Not to mention all the other concerns developers have had that just get pushed aside. But especially now, as this is probably the most active post on the forum ever, you need to take out your earplugs. Take off the earmuffs. Just take a good look?! Is it that hard for a simple note saying “we’re working on a fix” or “sorry you don’t feel the same way”?

Many people here have busy lives, from college to work to developing for you. They’ve been trying their hardest to get their voices out. It’s already been over 1200 replies at the time of this post. You’ve done nothing except pay your thousands of employees who are probably actively going through flagged code right now. If there is a definition of uselessness, it’s the big cheese-it on my screen, telling me that I’m on mute. I don’t think I’ve seen anything like this, for a (dare I say) reputable company you should be looking to resolve issues quickly. Regardless if you are formulating a plan, you’ve taken too long for it to matter to most people here. You’ve already sent a message: we don’t care enough to reply, or update you guys. You don’t need to know, just like the past couple of months of secretly censoring your work.

Thanks for ruining the development here. Just to be clear, I’ve gone through almost every post in this thread. There are a handful of developers that were going to launch the next fresh batch of top games, now they are leaving.

I have so much more to say, but the cheese-it is on mute so if someone reads even one post from here I think it will suffice. Please revert this, no one wants this. And soon, if you don’t, you will regret it as well.

6 Likes

It’s basic common logic that they won’t be flagging that, so that’s why I’m confused. There was no point of making this list. Of course they won’t moderate you for that. It’s like me saying this:

Here’s a list of things you can upload to Roblox btw guys! They won’t moderate you for this!

1. Cats
  2. Dogs
  3. Appropriate pictures!
3 Likes

Just going to reply to yours here even though I know it’s been mentioned in similar words above:

A rogue moderator is NOT something to worry about. A mod who looks at your code, steals some of it & gets fired/quits is NOT something to worry about.

ALL Roblox employees are under NDA and generally other contracts that would 100% prevent this as Roblox (the company) would be full rights to take swift legal action should this ever be attempted.

And to everyone frantically going through all of your games, or freaking out and being ‘scared’ to code anymore, WHY? Just don’t write swears or slurs in your code and it won’t get flagged. There is absolutely no reason to be fully panicking about this.

That being said, I’m not advocating for this in the slightest as I don’t really agree with the system in place but there is NO reason to freak out about it.

This isn’t the death of Roblox. You won’t leave for another platform. You won’t be moderated for your code (provided you don’t include racial slurs or anything bad like that).

STOP. FREAKING. OUT.

Y’all need to stop having random conversations in this thread too. With over 1,000 replies, every reply on top of that (yes including this one too) is just one more thing employees need to read. A lot of the replies I’m seeing can, and should, be done in DMs.

And yes, it’s been 5 days… so what? Roblox is current in a WFH state and delays are to be expected. Just because you haven’t seen a reply yet does not mean they don’t read EVERY. SINGLE. REPLY.

So do me a favor. Chill out. Calm down. And WAIT. Simple as that.

Wash your hands. Stay safe.

4 Likes

I dont really see the point of this
players cant see scripts, correct me if im wrong, so I’m very confused on why this needs to be implemented

4 Likes