Clarification on code flagged for safety review

I’d prefer neither considering that devs should be mature enough to use group editing features at their own risk…

3 Likes

Should be, not will be.

The basis of “trust” isn’t an argument that can work for a platform that requires intense moderation due to its high <13 player base.

1 Like

filtering actual lines of code is terrible because the filter doesn’t know the context of what a script is doing, it only sees words and letters

8 Likes

We really can’t use “neither” as a choice…it’s one or the other…

Literality any alternate solution is better than what Roblox is doing, saying “filtering wont work” or “it wont recognize code” doesn’t really help Roblox listen to ideas.

What they’re doing can possbility get dozens of scripters banned, if anyone has an idea that can lessen things like that it should at least get some small support.

Seeing someone come up with an idea that’s better than the one currently being used and then get dismissed just because “its not good enough” is sorta silly at a time like this and just comes off as greedy or ungrateful.

The script-moderation system they’ve talked about has apparently been a thing since Mid-2019 most likely and none of us knew it existed so…it may pointless to complain and come up with ideas now…but it’s better than not trying.

If you perfer to have no one coming up with better solutions, that’s fine. Unlike the some of the people complaing about the filter idea, I don’t code…whatever happens to you because of what Roblox is doing will never affect me.

But it doesnt matter if it never affects me, i still care…so i’m coming with ideas that have a chance in being the better solution to all this.

People shouldnt just be complaining and coming up with suggestions because they’re worried about the scripting career they made, it should rely more on how it affects others.

If someone here gets banned because of this system, it’ll be too late.

That’s why ideas and discussions need to happen now before the system gets WORSE, instead of complaining that people’s suggestions “arent good enough” focus on the potential they have to help everyone…even you.

2 Likes

I think this is a very DANGEROUS UPDATE! Why where we NOT informed that our code was being watched… It feels like a breach of privacy and not only that, it’s OUR code and we spend OUR time to do it! Also… HOW CAN I TRUST THESE MODS? They could easily get code from popular games and leak it? This feels really worrying and i am new to scripting.

11 Likes

Still fighting for the reinstatement of my account over code that was on my game on January of this year.
Only this week Roblox had the audacity to make a post saying “Oh hey, just going to clarify that code is being flagged for safety review and that your account can be terminated on a zero tolerance basis. Oh and appealing will be declined because we believe the automation of this system will never produce a false positive.”

Can I make up for my mistake and appeal please?

9 Likes

The problem with this that I can see is not that our code will be seen by some unknown employee of Roblox, but the terrible communication between moderation and developers when a problem does arise. I would have no problem with a system that flags code, if it then gave me a chance to rectify it. Too often accounts are outright deleted or banned, rather than the problematic asset being dealt with directly.

It has been far too long on this platform since any sort of warning - that actually identified the problem - was issued, allowing behavior to be corrected. I’ve had enough of ‘asset deleted’ warnings without actual feedback on the why, just the result.

4 Likes

Was the game public or private?

The game was marked as friends only at the time of development and the game that has the code being flagged has 0 visits.

5 Likes

No one is perfect and these mods could easily go to flagged code or even just see codes of games and steal or copy the script and leak it with a private discord or account i guess and sell it. I doubt it but it probs could happen and even games? I wouldn’t be surprised if games have been leaked by mods for money. I think we need a CLEAR warning on studio that this was being implememnted.

Did they reason on what they flagged?

Hadn’t been able to get any reason or information, only one ticket said the content was deemed inappropriate and couldn’t help any further.

1 Like

That’s a major issue I’m sure we’ve all come to terms with, is that if you get moderated there is little to no information given to show what you’ve done or to help you understand what you’ve done wrong.

11 Likes

Nearly all developers are 13+ so I don’t see why intense moderation is needed for games that are beyond the area where non-exploiting players can see. Not every line of code has to be squeaky clean. If someone decided to insert swear words into it, then uncopylocked the game, likely only 13+ users would see it.

In fact, everyone using this forum is either 13+ or a <13 user that is pretending to be 13+ (in which case, Roblox has a point to defend themselves from a ridiculous lawsuit for inappropriate content shown to <13 users).

8 Likes

The anonymity of administration has to go in order for this problem to be addressed. We deserve to know who‘s the culprit. I need to know who to contact so I can than determine if I want to sue x for intellectual property damage or resolve this problem civilly without getting the court involved. Developers should be allowed to request additional information on their case if customer service is failing to do their job properly. If a customer isn’t satisfied with an employee what will the customer do? Request to speak with their manager. Why can’t we be given the same treatment if YOUR employees are failing to address our concerns properly?

If moderators were cops in this hypothetical, it would be the complete opposite of protection by attacking us.

A more accurate example would’ve been a bodyguard employed by a 3rd party to prevent a client from doing anything stupid that would negatively impact the 3rd parties image.

Bodyguards introduce themselves to the clients whereas moderators never introduce themselves to developers. For all we know the culprit could be a single moderator being problematic.

If we’re being entirely honest, there’s been more cases of developers being falsely flagged than actual malicious developers being moderated. Moderation is more suitable for player disputes whereas they’re clearly under qualified to handle any development related inquiries. Look at how many cases exist of intellectual property theft on this platform… piracy is already an ongoing problem with the gaming industry overall however allowing administrators the possibility to download our file with ease is a huge security vulnerability. It’s basically telling programmers “Hey don’t create any ambitious games unless you intend on open sourcing it because we’ll just take it if we feel like doing so

Overall I just don’t believe moderators are useful to developers. They’re more of a nuisance than a reliable source of protection.

I guarantee Roblox has limitations on what administrators can do to the actual site so why are games treated any different or are certain games blacklisted from these inspections? I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if so considering how Roblox has normalized expressing favoritism. There should be a log without any blacklists included that shows who accessed the file, when the file was accessed, and if a moderator had accessed than a note should be attached for the reasoning on why the file was investigated earlier. Police cannot enter your house without a search warrant, a landlord doesn’t inspect their tenants property without a 24 hour notice so why can’t moderators mimic similar behavior? I doubt steam would treat us this poorly so why don’t we abandon Roblox for steam instead?

8 Likes

This makes no sense at all.
This is probably being done cause of corporate?

1 Like

Wait I’m confused why is this needed? Also if It’s automated then will we be falsely banned a lot of the times like warnings? Also no offense but Developers spend hundreds if not thousands. If the moderation system has an error in the code that all could be leaked. That wouldn’t be an easy recovery if there even was one. Also let’s be real there are staff members we cannot trust for example a certain lucky man (all I’m going to say). After all they are human and have human urges. With this I am also concerned Roblox admins might alter or even delete the scripts within a game. Removing a feature without the Devs of the game knowing leading to the game to be broke loosing money, visits, and player base. For example what do you think jailbreak would be like without robberies? Hmmm unplayable I’d say… Please don’t add this and I’m not too happy this has been going on for a while without us know.

• From John.

Edit: DevForum members have already been deleted out of the blue this has gotta stop. @NickoSCP was deleted.

Edit: I just though about this what if the Mod doesn’t know what the script does and isn’t experienced in that field take for example chassis not a lot of Devs know about them. What would happen?

1 Like

I’m going to hit this on the head.

Scripts that cannot be viewed by other users, bar team create members, should not be moderated
The automation on Roblox has proven to not work properly and filter totally normal words such as ‘well’ and ‘but’. Whats saying a mistyped condition could result in my account getting terminated
Another problem is that I dont want other people, including staff seeing my private APIs, datastore keys etc.

There are much more important moderation issues that need to be addressed over this, including but not limited to:

• Popular games being flooded with ‘free robux bots’
  • Botting in general, visits, dislikes etc.
  • Your report system being improved
  • More clarification into a ban rather than an automated or Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V response

If a script is disallowed, we should get transparency on which line/script caused it to get flagged. Simply saying ‘this asset is not allowed on roblox’ or ‘adult content is not allowed on roblox’ is not transparent enough and will not allow us to fix the issue with the script.

Yet again Roblox publishes a secret update to their website, announce it 5 months later, and then get no positive support. Revert it

7 Likes

Sorry, but I’d rather invest in a better moderation bot who doesn’t ban people for some of the most ridiculous reasons that I have ever seen. The developers have scripts including information that only they want to know about.

3 Likes

Moderating Code.
Why does this need to be a thing that moderation has to take care of?

ROBLOX Moderation has better things to take care of, not falsely banning players because of API Codes or other things inside the code that Moderation deems ‘Against the ROBLOX Terms of Use’.

2 Likes