Class | Supercharge your classes

Class

Supercharge your classes
Model Github

Preface

Because of how bored I am lately and taking a short break to release my own game, I’ve decided, “You know what, what if I challenge myself to put in private and protected variables in LuaU classes?”, and I did.

With a bit of playing around with debug.info, I managed to make Class, the module being presented today!

What is Class?

Class is a module that allows you to make your classes go super.

By how super you may ask? Class takes advantage of debug.info; by using the said method, we can slowly climb up from function to function until we get to a specific function that is under the class. With this, we are able to determine our current “level” within the code, thus, we can finally evaluate and interpret internal, private and protected properties!

Okay so, what can Class do?

Class is basically a generic class but one major alteration from the vanilla ones: we are able to make special properties. On top of that, we can initialize everything by creating __init method. It’s best practiced to initialize everything under class:__init() than using the optional defaultProps parameter when creating a new class, as it’s (supposedly) less prone to errors and other gimmicks!

The table shown below will showcase you the special properties, their prefixes and descriptions:

Property type Prefix Example Description
Constants PROP_NAME self.MESSAGE Makes the property a constant; cannot be changed after it has been initialized under the class:__init() method or via the defaultProps option
Internal properties __propname__ self.__message__ Makes the property internal; only the source class can access it
Private properties _ self._message Makes the property private; only the source class and inherited classes can access it
Protected properties __ self.__message Makes the property protected; other sources outside the source class or inherited classes can read the property but cannot overwrite the said property; the source class and inherited classes can change the property

Note: when userdatas; such as CFrames, Vector3s, Instances and such, are given as keys, they won’t be assigned from any of these special property cases

Class also gives you the option to lock the property; preventing the property in detail from being changed. To lock a property, you have to call class:__lockProperty(propName) and to unlock it you have to call class:__unlockProperty(propName) instead. Note: Constants are basically locked properties, but you cannot unlock them; doing so will rase an error.

Another addition of Class is to strictify properties, for example, if we want property X strictly only to be numbers, we have to do some checks and stuff; Class will introduce the class:__strictifyProperty__(propName, predicate) method, where predicate is a function that returns a boolean value to validate the set process.

API and Examples

API
  • Class(defaultProps: {}?)

• Creates a new Class

• class.new(...any?): Class

• Constructs a Class object; any properties within the defaultProps option containing any of the given special character prefixes will be assigned accordingly.
  • class.inherits(otherClass: Class)

• Allows the given task to access private and protected properties of otherClass when both are instantiated as Class objects
  • class.extends()

• A simplified version of:
      local subClass = setmetatable({}, superClass)
      subClass.__index = subClass

• class:__init(...any?)

• Called during class.new() is ran, all initialization must be done here; but it’s for personal preferences; like above, any properties assigned inside the function, with any of the given special character prefixes, will be assigned accordingly.
  • class:__lockProperty(propName: string)

• Locks the given property; prevents the property in detail from being changed. Constants are locked properties by default
  • class:__unlockProperty(propName: string)

• Unlocks the given; allows the property in detail from being changed Cannot unlock Constants by default
  • class:__overloadTargetFunction__(target: string, expects: {string | {string}}, func: (...any) -> (...any))

• Allows function overloading to target; the target function should be an empty function, doing nothing, as the func parameter will be used instead after the conditions that the expects parameter is satisfied. expects must contain strings of the desired datatype, ie: Vector3, string, number, etc. On top of that, target is case-sensitive! Below is an example:
      function myClass:__init()
      	self:__overloadTargetFunction("someFunction", {"number", "number"}, function(a, b)
      		return a + b
      	end)
      	self:__overloadTargetFunction("someFunction", {"string", "string"}, function(a, b)
      		return a .. b
      	end)

print(self:someFunction(5, 3)) -- 8
      	print(self:someFunction("Hello ", "World!")) -- Hello World!
      end

function myClass:someFunction()
      end

• class:__registerSpecialHandler__(handler: (...any) -> (...any)): (() -> ())

• Allows C and anonymous functions to be used, this function is sugar-coated by methods such as __wrapSignal, __wrapCoroutine and __wrapTask.
  • class:__strictifyProperty__(propName: string, predicate: (value: any) -> boolean)

• Makes the property’s value setting strict by calling predicate whenever self.key = value is done; when predicate returns false, it will raise an error.
  • class:__wrapSignal(signal: | {Connect: () -> ()}, handler: (...any) -> ())

• A workaround when indexing private or internal properties inside roblox signals such as workspace.ChildAdded and RunService.Heartbeat as both are rather debugged as C functions. Do NOT forget to wrap your signals with this method as there might be cases of script exhaustion or constant errors
  • class:__wrapCoroutine(co: coroutine, handler: (...any) -> ())

• Similar to class:__wrapSignal() but for coroutine instead
  • class:__wrapTask(task: task, handler: (...any) -> ())

• Similar to class:__wrapSignal() but for task instead
  • class:__registerSpecialHandler__(handler: (...any) -> ())

• Used by the wrappers above, allows you to make it so that an anonymous or public function be used elsewhere
  • class:OnPropertyChanged(propName: string, handler: (newValue: any, oldValue: any) -> ()): RBXScriptConnection

• Creates a new BindableEvent for propName to log in changes; the signal described fires off whenever propName is changed

Examples

Example Class
local classObject = Class({
	CONSTANT_MESSAGE = "Bye",
	publicMessage = "Hi",
	_privateMessage = "Secret",
	__protectedMessage = "Hello?"
})

function classObject:__init()
	print(self.CONSTANT_MESSAGE, self.publicMessage, self._privateMessage, self.__protectedMessage)
	-- Bye, Hi, Secret, Hello?
end

function classObject:setProtected(msg)
	self.__protectedMessage = msg
end

function classObject:changeConstant(msg)
	self.CONSTANT_MESSAGE = msg -- errors
end

local class = classObject.new()

print(class.__protectedMessage) -- "Hello?"
--class.__protectedMessage = "Hi!" -- errors
class:setProtected("Hi!") -- success
print(class.__protectedMessage)

class.publicMessage = {}
--print(class._privateMessage) -- errors

print(class.CONSTANT_MESSAGE)
class:changeConstant("Hiiii")
print(class.CONSTANT_MESSAGE)
Strict Properties
local class = Class()
function class:__init()
    self.X = 2
    self:__strictifyProperty__('X', function(value)
        return type(value) == "number" -- we only expect numbers
    end)
    self.X = 10 -- ok
    self.X = "test" -- uh oh error!
end
-- main code
Inheritance
local classObject = Class()
	self._message = "I can only be accessed by myself and my successors"
	print(self._message)
end

local successor = Class()
successor.inherits(classObject)
function successor:__init()
	print(class._message)
end

local notSuccessor = Class()
function notSuccessor:__init()
	print(class._message)
end

successor.new() -- success
notSuccessor.new() -- fails
Benchmarking
local BENCHMARK_COUNT = 50000

local classObject = Class()
	self.strict = 1
	self:__strictifyProperty__('strict', function(v) return type(v) == "number" end)
end

function classObject:testPublic()
	local s = os.clock()
	for i = 1, BENCHMARK_COUNT do
		self.value = 1
	end
	print('public', os.clock()-s)
end

function classObject:testPrivate()
	local s = os.clock()
		self._value = 1
	end
	print('private', os.clock()-s)
end

function classObject:testProtected()
	local s = os.clock()
		self.__value = 1
	end
	print('protected', os.clock()-s)
end

function classObject:testInternal()
	local s = os.clock()
		self.__value__ = 1
	end
	print('internal', os.clock()-s)
end

function classObject:testLock()
	local s = os.clock()
		self:__unlockProperty('value')
		self.value = 1
		self:__lockProperty('value')
	end
	print('locking', os.clock()-s)
end

function classObject:testStrict()
	local s = os.clock()
		self.strict = 1
	end
	print('strict', os.clock()-s)
end

function classObject:testActivity(n)
	local t = 0
	while true do
		self._actiivty = math.sin(tick())
		t += task.wait()
		if t >= (n or 5) then break end
	end
end

class:testPublic()
class:testPrivate()
class:testProtected()
class:testInternal()
class:testLock()
class:testStrict()
class:testActivity()

Warning: Class is quite performance-costly when we update x property quickly

What now?

Everything is now up to you once you are using it! You have complete control over how you’ll manage your newly constructed class with Class as it brings new functionalities you want complete supervision on!

And always, have fun!:wink:

11 Likes

I feel like __index and __newindex could probably do the same thing but easier. Unless im not understanding this?(Edit: i just saw it uses newindex)

1 Like

Could you elaborate more on what this does? I’m a little confused

2 Likes
1 Like

Private variables that only that class can read and write, whilst other sources cannot.
And protected variables that makes properties read-only for other sources while still allowing the class to edit it.

2 Likes

I have update this post as I want this resource to be understood correctly to some:D

1 Like

Bug fix

While playing around with this module for quite a while, I’ve encountered a bug where you cannot access private properties if indexed inside some roblox signals such as Player.CharacterAdded, RunService.RenderStepped, etc.

To solve this, I’ve introduced a new method within the API called self:__wrapSignal(signal, handler). This method supports both RBXScriptConnections and custom events as long as they have a Connect method in them.

Documenation updates

Added class.inherits(otherClass) and class.extends() functions to the API
Added class:__wrapSignal(signal, handler), class:__wrapCoroutine(co, handler) and class:__wrapTask(task, handler) method to the API

1 Like

(Forgot to notify) Added self:OnPropertyChanged(propName, callback) and self:__registerSpecialHandler__(handler)

Amazing resource! Though why did you make the inherited classes can also access the private properties?

1 Like

For personal preference, you can edit the code on your liking by changing some values inside meta:__index or isWithinScope function!

1 Like

super helpful! I will definitely be using this for my future projects.

thank you for this module it is going to be very useful!

2 Likes

Thanks! Though I wish it was like that for default since a lot of programming languages like C++ do not allow inherited classes to access private properties.

1 Like

You can remove the canAccessViaInheritance on line 59 to do so!

1 Like

Added function overloading!

If you have two functions with the same name that handles different types, such as for numbers and for vectors, I advise the usage assert or error as it’ll loop through a table that contains each respective functions.

This also respects variadics or functions with the parameter ...!

I’ve overhauled the functionality of the function overloading feature.
Now all you have to do is just create an empty function like:

end

By doing this I’ve introduced a new way to initialize them, with the new class:__overloadTargetFunction__() method!
This method expects 3 arguments:

1. target, which expects a string. target must be the exact same as the function name you’ll be overloading, or in short, case-sensitive.
  2. expects, which is a table of strings that are the prerequisites for the function to be called. And;
  3. func, which is the function that’ll take over for the empty target function.

The method in detail is best used under the myClass:__init() constructor, as calling it elsewhere might lead to undesirable effects.

An example should be like:

function myClass:__init()
   self:__overloadTargetFunction("someFunction", {"number", "number"}, function(a, b)
   	return a + b
   end)
   self:__overloadTargetFunction("someFunction", {"string", "string"}, function(a, b)
   	return a .. b
   end)

print(self:someFunction(5, 3)) -- 8
   print(self:someFunction("Hello ", "World!")) -- Hello World!
end

end

And yes, this accepts variadic arguments!

Off-topic, I’ve forgotten to include class:__registerSpecialHandler__() to the API.
Basically it’s used to accept C or anonymous functions! However, when this is used, Internal and Private methods can be accessed. (I cannot do anything beyond that too)

Edit:
Fixed some bugs related to function overloading!