Cleaner code? (Speed Down Script)

Hello, Roblox!
So I have this piece of code that creates either a Mobile gui button or a key event that makes the player slow down when touched/called. I know the DRY principle but this code breaks it several times. It works well and doesn’t lag the game but I was hoping there was a way to make it a touch cleaner. If you guys know some cool function, coroutine, or something that I can use to fix this it would be much appreciated.

Was also planning to copy and redo this for a speed up button (simple variable/name changes)

local ContextActionService = game:GetService("ContextActionService")
local player = game.Players.LocalPlayer
local PlayerGui = player:WaitForChild("PlayerGui")
local ScreenGui = PlayerGui:WaitForChild("ScreenGui")
local TouchGui = PlayerGui:WaitForChild("TouchGui")
local TouchControlFrame = TouchGui:WaitForChild("TouchControlFrame")
local JumpButton = TouchControlFrame:WaitForChild("JumpButton")

-- Get absolute size and position of button
local absPositionX, absPositionY = JumpButton.Position.X, JumpButton.Position.Y

player.Character.Humanoid.WalkSpeed = 350

state = 4  -- This records what speed the player is going at without calling on the player every time. 
--reset this l8r
onewalk = 16  -- These record how fast the player will go at different states. You can change these and they change throughout the code.
twowalk = 50 
threewalk = 150
fourwalk = 350

local function SpeedDownbutton(actionName, inputState, inputObject)
    	if inputState == Enum.UserInputState.Begin then
	       if state == 1 then
		--do nothing
	end
	if state == 2 then
		player.Character.Humanoid.WalkSpeed = onewalk
		state = 1
	end
	if state == 3 then
		player.Character.Humanoid.WalkSpeed = twowalk
		state = 2
	end
	if state ==4 then
		player.Character.Humanoid.WalkSpeed = threewalk
		state = 3
	end
    		print(actionName, inputObject)
print(player.Character.Humanoid.WalkSpeed)
    	end
    end

ContextActionService:BindAction("SpeedDownbutton", SpeedDownbutton, true, Enum.KeyCode.R, Enum.KeyCode.ButtonR1)
    ContextActionService:SetPosition("SpeedDownbutton", UDim2.new(0.7,absPositionX,0.2,absPositionY))
    ContextActionService:SetTitle("SpeedDownbutton", "Speed Down")
1 Like

What you can do to make this much cleaner is get a rid of all of those if statements, to do that, have a table that has those four walk types, instead of having them seperately, which will make things much easier. In the table each walk will be placed according to its correspondent state, for example onewalk is supposes to be there if the state is 2, so it will placed at the 2nd index thus we can do walks[state] (which means the first index is gonna be useless, that’s why I put nil there in the following code).

state = 4  -- This records what speed the player is going at without calling on the player every time. 
--reset this l8r

local walks = {nil, 16, 50, 150, 35} --our walks, organized according to their correspondant state

local function SpeedDownbutton(actionName, inputState, inputObject)

if inputState == Enum.UserInputState.Begin then
	       if state == 1 then
               end

player.Character.Humannoid.WalkSpeed = walks[state]
                state = state - 1 --and since you're subtracting 1 from "state" each time, here is a cooler way to write which allows for a more general code

print(actionName, inputObject)
print(player.Character.Humanoid.WalkSpeed)
    	end
    end
1 Like

AHHH, thanks, @starmaq! That makes so much more sense… and I figured it was something like that…

I’ll see if this works in my place, it probably will no sweat.

edit: you misspelled humanoid at one place, but everything else works great, thx!

2 Likes