Clear selection from explorer by clicking empty space

Instances in explorer used to have a selection width that was based on the length of the instance’s name. This allowed you to be able to un-select what you have selected by clicking into the empty space beside any instance, as there was no selectable instance in that area.

The empty space beside this model could be clicked to clear your selection.

Now, the selection width spans the entire length of the explorer window which no longer allows you to clear your selection with the explorer window.

As a developer, this creates a disruption in my workflow when I have been accustom to being able to clear my selection this way for the past 5 years that I have been using Roblox Studio. Furthermore, this limits the number of ways you can clear your selection in studio as the only remaining ways to clear your selection now is to click into the skybox or onto a locked part.

Edit: I just found out that you can clear your selection by pressing escape as well, so that is an additional way. I still think this is potentially disruptive to other developer’s workflow as it is to mine so I’ll leave this feature request up.

The selection width should be reverted to the way it was before so that developers can quickly clear their selection by clicking into the empty space in explorer.

25 Likes

I actually like the new system, although I do agree that we should be able to clear our selection on the right of the selection. This update helped me reduce the number of times to access instances that are deep within my folders using a horizontal scroll bar.

3 Likes

I’d actually assumed this a bug, but considering the bug report for this was unlisted and closed without any official staff reply, I will now be rooting for the “feature” (if you can even call this one) of removing the empty space in the explorer to be removed / reverted.

Being able to deselect objects by clicking next to their name is quicker, and besides deselection, actually allows us to select multiple objects within explorer range. Now, since this ability was removed, we find our development incredibly slowed down.

This change needs to be reverted. I’d also like to say I do not know why the linked post was closed, but it’d be awesome if Roblox could reply since now we’re left in the dark and can only assume

11 Likes

I think I prefer being able to deselect things by clicking in empty space. While this change smooths out the explorer interface, it also removes the ability to clear your selection with your mouse.

I can press escape on my keyboard but that’s a stretch from my usual working position, and takes more time since my hand is already on my mouse if I’m selecting objects or working in the hierarchy. Sometimes I don’t want to have something selected; for either screenshot purposes, or for simply looking at my work.

It’s also a bit confusing doing a drag-select on items now because you have to click and drag from the right side of a fully highlighted item. With common design, when you click and drag on a highlighted object you would expect the highlighted object to get dragged.

I would prefer retaining the option to clear your selection by clicking to the right of the object in the hierarchy.

Something like this maybe, where the selection hitbox is only as far as the instance name:

As far as I know though, this is QT and such control over this may be impossible. :frowning:

7 Likes

I find myself working on models that have a lot of parts and this is severely affecting the rate at which I can work. I have tools with dozens of parts and entities that also have dozens parts, and the lack of the ability to select multiple parts by dragging the cursor is making it extremely time consuming to work with. This demotivates development a lot.

Seriously, how am I supposed to select all this one by one every time I want to perform a change to all
at the same time?

Can we please have an answer on this? This was an essential feature and it got removed. I don’t understand the point of less control over easier clicking.

Edit: I’ve been made aware that shift-click still works as a work around for this, though in the end I’d still rather have the space area back… :pensive:

4 Likes

Click on the top one, then Shift+Click on the bottom one. Ctrl+Click to select/unselect individual items.
Also, Escape unselects whatever is currently selected in the Explorer window.

Learn your hotkeys people!

2 Likes

I still believe pressing escape or using those hotkeys isn’t anywhere as fast or intuitive as pressing empty space to deselect, or select multiple objects, but thanks for reminding me of that hotkey!

4 Likes

You can already select multiple objects by click dragging. Not sure why you think that’s magically changed.

Edit: referring to this:

2 Likes

I know, thus why I said it’s simply more intuitive and easier to use the empty space than to use hotkeys. Having to constantly go and press hotkeys when working is not very helpful when developing, specially when there are a lot of actions being done during development.

Edit: I still stand by the opinion than having the empty area to use is better than not having it; I’m not sure why someone would prefer less control… it helps having that empty space, always had. My team also complains that this is a disruption to their usual workflow. I understand your point of view that there are hotkeys and they serve as a work around, but I’d simply rather have that space area like before. It’s my opinion.

3 Likes

No, I literally don’t know what you’re trying to say. You said you cannot click and drag to select things anymore. You still can. Like, with your mouse. That is the only thing I am saying.

With respect to the topic, this is a great example of what I mean by:

Because it looks like you don’t realize you can still do this due to the design becoming nonstandard.

2 Likes

Look, I already understood that. I edited my posts and already specified it in my replies to yours. I feel like you might be misunderstanding my point. :sweat_smile:

I understand you can work around not having the space by using keyboard hotkeys. I just believe it is less intuitive / quick than using the empty space that was there before whereas all you had to do was hold and drag your mouse.

Edit: Guess it was changed to be able to hold and drag mouse again… well then… I rest my case

2 Likes