Client GetRankInGroup Suddenly Stopped Working

I have a script that puts doors inside of Workspace if they are not a current rank. It worked fine for the past month but today now it’s not working. It is yielding the whole script for most users and allowing them into my staff areas, and not getting their rank either.

Here is mine: https://gyazo.com/be24087222b5f160576e783a8ce41e9d
Here is another player’s: https://gyazo.com/19b8bab853a38bef8ca9d15a683fa1c2 (is below rank 40)

I used to get the result of the other player’s, but now I am not. This has been happening for hours and I have no idea what is causing it.

Here is the code:

warn("HEY IM ALIVE!!")

repeat wait() until game.Players.LocalPlayer.Character

warn("character")
warn("CURRENT RANK BELOW")
warn(game.Players.LocalPlayer:GetRankInGroup(1016598))
warn("RANK SHOULD BE ABOVE!")

if game.Players.LocalPlayer:GetRankInGroup(1016598) >= 40 then
	print'destroy staff wall'
	game.Workspace.ImportantModels.StaffWall:Destroy()
else
	print'in cashierwall'
	script.CashierWall.Parent = game.Workspace.ImportantModels
end

if game.Players.LocalPlayer:GetRankInGroup(1016598) < 60 then
	print'chef wall in'
	script.ChefWall.Parent = game.Workspace.ImportantModels
end

There is another script for debugging also that has the top part just printing the rank.

4 Likes

You could try indexing into the player without LocalPlayer and see what it does?

I don’t think my script would start yielding after adding nothing else using this and using this for 1 month.

It looks like someone is having the same problem as you. Their script yields indefinitely after calling GetRankInGroup.

Hm, is this an Engine bug? It seems another game of mine is also having this issue and is breaking it also. My datastores are also having a bit of an issue. https://gyazo.com/bc3543bfe1e1379cf32dbc2ef39dfa0c

I’m getting this problem too…

I’ve tried your code exactly how it is but with a different group Id and it seems to be working fine for me.

1 Like

I have noticed this only happens in some games but if it is happening in your game it is for the majority of people and stays a bug in your game.

This could be due to calling the function so many times. Try storing it in a variable. Calling it multiple times will pull a lot of requests to the server.

What I’m confused about is why this would be happening now and not within the past month?

That’s weird. You should file a bug report.

I am currently filing one. :slight_smile:

I am having issues with two of games I develop for as well.

One game is loading up teams and making sure that users have access to the teams by checking if they’re in the group - none of them load up and no requests are being made for some reason.

In another game, I manage admin permissions per group and ranks of users in the said group. No one has admin and the admin refuses to load up. I’m using a modified version of Basic Admin Essentials 2.0 for that.

I haven’t experienced any of these two issues before, I’m not sure why this is happening right now. The only thing that I did notice was an error where I would’ve hit a ratelimit of about 3500 and 4000 requests - which I would have never been able to hit. I am not sure why that happened.

2 Likes

Having the same issue with Iceberg Hotels, the script should destroy the door for the localplayer if they are above a certain rank, but it’s not destroying it at all, was working when testing it last night, but not working at all now.

I am also getting this problem. I use the same function in a Local Script and only that function won’t work.

1 Like

We are investigating this issue.

7 Likes

Made a bug report for server sided version of this problem before I saw this message.

Just started getting this issue, doors worked for most people yesterday and today it’s no one. (Has been working for the past few months)

We reverted a change on our end a few days ago. The issue should no longer occur.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.