Clients trying to take network ownership even when forced to be a different player?

I’ve been making a custom humanoids using physics over the past few days, and I’ve found a weird bug. I don’t know if it’s to do with my code or not, but it really feels like it’s to do with network ownership.
This is the bug:
Dungeonoids%20Glitch%201
(gyazo if that doesn’t work for some reason)

The bug happens when the custom character goes near any other stationary custom characters. The other characters simulate physics and fall to the ground, then snap back (they should just remain stationary hovering above the ground because of the bodyposition height force applied). Note that all custom characters are being held up by local bodymovers - the other clients can’t see these. Every character model has had their network ownership set to their respective player object.
The bug doesn’t happen when the custom character is around 10 studs away from the other characters, as if they are out of the player’s network ownership ‘zone’.

I’m not sure when this started happening or if I should file a bug report, but it’s pretty annoying. Could it be because the bodymovers are local? I only made them local because I heard that creating bodymovers on the server effectively forces the network owner to be the server. Could have misunderstood that though.

Bodymovers should not influence network ownership, but it prevents proper extrapolation on other clients. When you are near other characters, your client does some slight calculation to foresee where they will be, this is required to keep their movement smooth, as physics send rate is 20hz, and you’re rendering at 60hz. Keeping the same conditions on every client should allow proper extrapolation. To see what I mean enable AreOwnersShown in studio settings:

Settings

If I’m right your custom characters should fall when they are highlighted in red.

2 Likes

You’re right, they get highlighted red. I’ll create the BodyMovers on the server and see if that fixes it. Thanks!

That solved it. Thanks!!