Clothing Design Beginner Part 2: Templates

Banner 5

Welcome to the second lesson of the Clothing Design Beginner series. This lesson will focus on the advanced and basic templates and watermarking.

Overview

This lesson will focus on:

• Basic Template
  • Advanced Template
  • Creating Custom Templates
  • Watermarking

Please note, if you use the advanced template, you will need to transfer it to the basic template. This will be in the next lesson (part 3). Throughout tutorials, the advanced template will be used and transferring will be shown.

Basic Template

Download Template

Advanced Template

Download Template

Note: There are different types. I have posted 2 below.

Advanced Template - Mou

Creating Custom Templates

Please keep in mind that I am using Photo Editor : Pixlr E - free image editing tool to make the templates.

Custom Basic Template

Basic Template (Download)

1. Use the marquee select (rectangle select), and delete the image.

2. Use the magic wand to select the remaining ‘grey’ background. Then delete.

3. Import a background image you want to use. Drag it so it’s the bottom layer. Then merge the remaining template with the background image.

4. Use the marquee select (rectangle select) to select each coloured portion. Once ONE part is selected, clear it (delete) and continue this on all parts.

5. Your custom basic template should be done! This is mine:

Watermarking

Watermarking includes:

• Default watermark/ icon on your templates
  • General watermarks (when sending it to a client)
  • Showcases (in a way, watermarking)

Default Watermarks/ Icons

1. Upload your template onto the Pixlr canvas.

2. Select the text tool and add a text layer.

3. Type your username or name and place it on the template as shown. Where you put it is optional.

4. You can add extra text as I did around below:

5. Merge the layers, and save the template. Then you are done!

General Watermarks

I have a design here. It’s on an advanced template, but you can apply it onto the basic as well.

1. Create a text and write your username as I have.

2. Go to the edit tab for that layer, and turn down the transparency to about 5. The opacity does vary from the design.

3. You are done! You can save the watermark as a separate image so that it can be used across multiple other designs.

Showcases

I advise that when you make showcases, upload the template first, and then import the showcase. It makes it easier as you don’t need to resize anything.

Showcase Downloads

Pants Display
Character Display - Pants

Shirt Display
Character Display - Shirt

Shoe Display
Character Display - Skirt

Whole Display
Character Display - Whole

Front, Side, Back Display
Showcases

1. Import your template and showcase. (I have a watermark on my design to keep it safe).

2. Select the torso, copy and paste it. And arrange it into the showcase.

3. Do the same with the other parts. And it should look like this:

Note: If you need further clarification on how to make it, here’s a video,

Feedback

What did you think about this lesson?
Was it helpful?

0 voters

Let me know if you have any ideas of how I can improve/ change this series.

Other Lessons In This Series:

21 Likes

What a useful tutorial, although, paint.net is also a helpful resource too to edit your clothing!

4 Likes

Yes, I use a mac, on which paint dot net isn’t available. And most people don’t actually use paint dot net, so I decided to do a clothing series on Pixlr.

2 Likes

i usally dont like having watermarks on the armpit areas because its only really hidden by the blocky body and usually just makes my character look like they have armpit hair

1 Like

Yes, like I said. Where you put watermarks is optional. I just put it there to show an idea.