Code Assist Beta: AI powered code completion

Turned it into a budget ChatGPT lmao.

7 Likes

I asked the AI several times with prompt engineering and it said it runs GPT-2, which has pretty poor reasoning skills. So it’s probably only going to suggest code it’s seen before and not come up with specific optimizations

(did this several times, even trying to trick it, and it always said gpt 2)

5 Likes

Interesting, I wonder if that is true.
Do keep in mind that AI can be a bit biased sometimes, some information might not be entirely true but it is certainly interesting.
I do wonder if Roblox indeed used some version of GPT-2.

Can we get confirmation on what model Roblox’s generative AI is based off of?

knowing roblox, they probably did use the cheaper alternative

makes me wonder what makes this specific model better than something like copilot or chatgpt (which after some testing, can emulate a lua commandbar)

seeing how the progress on the ai generative prompts go though, id say it’s pretty much going at a steady pace and could match if not overthrow copilot and other ais (at least in the lua-coding section)

Back on topic, one complaint I have is how the ai doesn’t really recognise LuaU inputs, and uses Lua 5.1 techniques to do stuff that were already optimised for LuaU, such as ‘Variable += 1’ or ‘String …= OtherString’

3 Likes

RIP programming commissions. :frowning:

1 Like

Did you try it today? We released several improvements over the weekend… thank you for the feedback!

5 Likes

I haven’t tried since this weekend, but I’ll give it another shot.

Also some feedback, it seeks to like to cut off randomly and cause syntax errors.

Update: it still seems to like to repeat my prompt and not do anything.

3 Likes

I don’t think it should be able to use deprecated functions; even in the example a camelCase Connect is shown.

1 Like

update: now it seems like it says a completely unrelated line when i try and tell it something basic

2 Likes

I understand the desire to get it out while AI is still the hot new thing so you don’t miss the boat completely like with Web3 but calling this a Beta feature is a bit dishonest.

This feature barely functions, it’s not even at a pre-alpha stage.

4 Likes

It works pretty nice so far. I didn’t even realize I had it on until I made a comment in my code and the auto-completion popped up. It basically just guessed what I wanted to do based on my previous code, which I thought was pretty neat.

1 Like

This AI is far from having the ability to take your job, it doesn’t even know that parts can’t be directly serialised to a datastore and it has absolutely no gauge of the limitations of the engine and attempts to run functions outside of it’s security-level, it also makes somewhat useless code sometimes and outright talks to itself!

AI thinks it’s running in the CoreScripts!

AI, I too wish this was valid

Huh, why do I even need to force SuperSafeChat? And why are you trying to assign to a read-only property

Players are expected to publicly type in chat to report (themselves?) and fire a RemoteEvent that does not exist, to add insult to injury, this is a server script and as a result FireServer will error

AI should in no-circumstance be able to reply to itself, both the lines after the first “me:” are written by the AI, it even moved on to impersonate me in the final line by starting it with “me:”

None of these are cherrypicked and are all first-time responses I received from the AI albeit I will admit I was giving vague, difficult to impossible tasks to the AI, however you have to admit that the AI will be used for that more often than not, especially if the target demographic right now are experienced scripters who may give impossible tasks and expect a “I can’t do that” response.

12 Likes

Nice update!

Although, the coding example uses the deprecated wait() instead of task.wait(). Does it use anything else deprecated?

2 Likes

I told the AI to “Build a detailed house”

it cut off and didn’t finish…

8 Likes

Wait so you cant make comments in a scipt anymore?

When this will be forced no you will not be able to!
Isn’t this great!

It looks like the suggestion reached max token limit per API call. You can press Alt+\ at the place where it cuts off, to continue generation.
We are aware of this issue and will make some improvements shortly.

6 Likes

messing around with it more…

I told the AI to make blood come out when the player clicks the part.

Does the AI just grab random assets from wherever it finds whatever it’s using…? Below is what it gave for “blood” and it’s a little concerning… I tried searching it on the toolbox & catalog and there weren’t any results for the image/shirt. How is it finding stuff that isn’t public?

Also why can it insert image assets but not audio? All it does is add sound.SoundId = "rbxassetid://" and leave it empty.

6 Likes

This feature was really buggy for me. The first time I tried to use it, it didn’t even work at all. Now that I’m trying it out now, it works somewhat decently. For the people who are wondering if it will replace programmers. No, it’s a good tool for people who are starting to script, but it makes mistakes like most AI’s do, and beginners won’t see that. It’s a decent assist tool, but I don’t recommend making entire games out of it.

2 Likes