Code Assist Beta: AI powered code completion

You need to understand that it’s at least three times better than GPT 3’s ChatGPT model configuration.

Completely irrelevant. Roblox provided this AI in-engine, meaning I expect it to be much better than GPT3, and GPT4.
Bing, which currently uses GPT4, provides significantly better results, and more up-to-date results.
Bing has also provided proper type checking in some cases.
Both GPT3 and GPT4 are general language models, with a huge dataset. Roblox’s model should be exclusively trained on Luau, meaning it would not only be faster, but significantly higher quality and absolutely up-to-date, yet it completely fails in all three of those categories.

2 Likes

Roblox’s model uses GPT 2 probably because it’s cheaper. Also, the reason why it’s not up to date is because of old models in the toolbox.

You effectively repeated what I just said: It’s poor quality and needs to be trained correctly.
Additionally, you are recycling information that could not be true: The language processing that detects what the user is typing could possibly be GPT 2, and the code generation sequence could be a different model. It may not even be GPT 2, Roblox has not officially said anything.

2 Likes

It’s an educated guess and/or speculation by other users. You are right, the model isn’t the highest quality, but the content it produces supports my needs.

Only issue is that it can’t read ~500 lines above where the prompt is.

2 Likes

It doesn’t even work for me lol

2 Likes

I tried out this feature very briefly, and it’s correct, just not for what I wanted exactly.

For example, I asked it to make the part a random colour when the server started, and it created a function, but never called that function.

However, I feel this is a really cool way to integrate AI into the Roblox Platform, props to you!

1 Like

Question, will we soon get like a “summon” button or a shortcut for triggering it?

The AI sometimes comes up with suggestions when I’m writing a comment or just writing code and pause for a moment to think.
It’s code suggestions are often also not entirely correct.

I like the feature and I don’t want to turn it off but I also don’t want it to interrupt me when I pause for 5 seconds to think.

I look forward to further updates and possible improvements though, it seems exciting!
I hope I can eventually train it on my own code so it can perform more correct code completions and behave in an more intelligent way.

3 Likes

This is really cool! One problem I have right now, it will randomly start trying to finish my code even if I don’t make a comment or press the hotkey.

1 Like

I got the AI to play It’s Raining Tacos:

But also I got it to say some negative things about Roblox:

And It also seems to not do everything yet:
(this would only work if roblox is in the game which would never happen)

(also cant make an anticheat, very sad)

Very Cool Update!

2 Likes

Thats what beta is for, also i would be way more specific than that

2 Likes

4 Likes

I really like this feature, it really fun to mess around with.

1 Like

I can’t even use it, the beta isn’t showing up for me.
:frowning:

1 Like

lol it really got me there

3 Likes

how do i expand the amount of lines the ai can generate

1 Like

I know this topic is old, but it started to work for me few days ago. And It looks like, its in his very alpha.
Snímka obrazovky 2023-05-01 171052
Here, it autocompleted my question
Snímka obrazovky 2023-05-01 171225
Left blank comment. Help.

3 Likes

I have been playing with ChatGPT for a bit. I asked it to produce the same thing (well similar): “write a roblox script to kick a player from the game when that player’s character dies.”

local Players = game:GetService("Players")

local function onCharacterDied(player)
    -- Kick the player when their character dies
    player:Kick("You were kicked from the game because your character died.")
end

local function onCharacterAdded(character, player)
    -- Listen for the character's Humanoid.Died event
    local humanoid = character:WaitForChild("Humanoid")
    humanoid.Died:Connect(function()
        onCharacterDied(player)
    end)
end

local function onPlayerAdded(player)
    -- Listen for the player's character to be added to the game
    player.CharacterAdded:Connect(function(character)
        onCharacterAdded(character, player)
    end)

-- Check if the player already has a character in the game
    if player.Character then
        onCharacterAdded(player.Character, player)
    end
end

-- Listen for players being added to the game
Players.PlayerAdded:Connect(onPlayerAdded)

-- Handle players who are already in the game (in case the script is added while the game is running)
for _, player in ipairs(Players:GetPlayers()) do
    onPlayerAdded(player)
end

Much more comprehensive, but I have found that it does make significant coding errors, some of which are very elementary. In one script it put a while true do loop inside a for loop with no break, keeping the for loop from every completing.

2 Likes

Found out today, work with this AI is pain in the ass.

He is gaslighting me. Help.

4 Likes

You’re talking to it as if it’s a person. It runs way better if you talked to it as if you’re writing a comment as the next line. For example,

--I want to create 5 parts and parent them to workspace.

becomes

--I want to create 5 parts and parent them to workspace. They will have 5 different colors, blue, black, red, green, and yellow. I want them to ...(continues writing)

where

--Creating 5 parts and parenting them to workspace

becomes

for i = 1, 5 do
local part = Instance.new("Part",workspace)
end

You can also do comments that are like documentation:

function createPart(position)
local p = Instance.new("Part")
p.Position=position
p.Parent = workspace
end
--createPart is a function that creates a part.

--create some parts with it
--AI:
createPart(Vector3.new(0,5,0))
createPart(Vector3.new(2,5,0))
createPart(Vector3.new(0,0,5))
--and so on...
7 Likes