Code complete needs to respect caps when suggesting

Code complete makes the wrong suggestion here.

Should be “ICEIMMUNE” if I type “IC” not “Icons”.

14 Likes

No it shouldn’t. Lots of us follow certain conventions (e.g CONSTANT_CASE for constant variables, etc) and this would overall lead to a bad ux as users would be asking why intellisense is not working, only to realize that it is because they had caps off when typing their CONSTANT_CASE variable.

I type my constant variables in the case I defined them in, expecting specifically that constant to be suggested. I do not type my constants in lowercase when they are defined in uppercase expecting them to suggested. Suggestions should be ordered by accuracy, factoring in casing.

2 Likes

Are you suggesting that if typing in uppercase then uppercase variable names should be suggested first? I am probably misinterpreting your response but if that is what you are saying then yes I would support higher priority of those but not not suggesting lowercase ones at all.

In this example, I would expect TEST to be suggested above Teeshirt because although they both share an E, the E in what I am typing is uppercase and matches TEST better than Teeshirt.

Obviously entirely omitting suggestion of lowercase members is stupid.

4 Likes

Yeah I don’t really think the correct behavior is debatable here.

Some of those suggestions are really crazy. “then”?

3 Likes