CollisionFidelity Not Changing to Default on Specific MeshPart

https://gyazo.com/d33cae023c907b0706c975d7c105c884

See the gif above. Every time I try to change this specific MeshPart’s CollisionFidelity from Hull (which it starts at for some reason?) to Default it snaps to Hull. Box works fine when I try to select it. This issue is unique to the mesh since I have other meshes that work fine. The mesh is very simple: only a nine-sided cylinder. image

To reproduce, take a copy of the model and insert it into Studio and try it yourself. I’ve tried it in multiple Studio places and none have worked.
BadMesh.rbxm (2.6 KB)

I can re-upload another mesh since my use-case is basic, but it’d be very annoying if this were a more critical asset.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Edit: Looking over some other meshes, I found another one that has the same issue, meaning it isn’t isolated to that specific mesh.

1 Like

I think this is half intentional and half accidental.

The intentional part: For convex meshes, Default is exactly the same as Hull because they break down into a single convex hull.
The accidental part: A recent change now has the fidelity set based on the geo, so I’m thinking when you set a convex mesh to Default it now instantly sets it to Hull instead because the geo is just a single convex hull.

Thank you for the clarification on this - I wasn’t aware of the changes.

Though it still begs the question why two meshes; one a flat cylinder, and the other a lumpy sphere to mimic tree foliage, are calculated as a Hull.

But as long as the decomposition geometry is correct enough, I don’t care what the property is set at.

Yeah, @gkku is correct. What happens is when you try to set it to Default it attempts to calculate the best collision geometry it can. When it finishes it realized that there is only a single Convex Hull object that makes up the entire decomposition, so it sets itself to “Hull” to make it obvious that the Collision Geometry is hull.

Basically this means for these objects are at best fidelity, HULLs with the current Decomposition method.

To answer that is that technically a cylinder and a lumpy sphere are technically a convex object to begin. If you put a single convex object into Convex Decomposition, it will spit out a Convex Object.

Currently, our Collision Geometry doesn’t recognize simply shapes like spheres, and cylinders, so it will tessellate them into simple convexes.

2 Likes

Thank you for the additional info, and to whichever engineer (you?) made my decomposition geometry better for my meshes!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.