<Color3>:ToHex() randomly throws due to a web error with FFlags

Reproduction Steps
Currently, as of 4/18/22, the Color3 hex conversion methods (such as <Color3>:ToHex() will randomly throw errors due to web failures with fetching their associated FFlags.

There is no way to reliably reproduce this, but I have been seeing this error popping up in my error analytics:

Color3 hex conversion methods have not been enabled
Players.[Player].PlayerScripts.Controllers.RoundController.Round_UI line 141 - function ShowSectionName
Players.[Player].PlayerScripts.Modules.Rounds.Classic line 432

The line that errors in question looks like this:

UI.SectionName.TextLabel.Text = ('<i><font color="rgb(255,255,255)">%s</font><font color="#%s">[%s]</font></i>')
:format(
	SectionName,DifficultyColor:ToHex(),SectionDifficulty
)

Expected Behavior
It is expected that <Color3>:ToHex() would not arbitrarily fail due to it being tied to a FFlag.

Actual Behavior
<Color3>:ToHex() can randomly spit errors due to it failing to read its associated FFlag value.

Workaround
None

Issue Area: Engine
Issue Type: Other
Impact: High
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2022-04-18 00:04:00 (-04:00)

3 Likes

When this error happens once in a server, do all subsequent calls also fail? And were there any :ToHex() calls before that did succeed? This may help narrow down the source of the failure.

I’m not sure, the only information I have is that the error is happening pretty frequently in production, and the stack trace.

This is still happening as of 5/2/22. This breaks logic in my game when it shouldn’t!

We submitted a fix for this recently. It will be a couple of weeks until it’s fully rolled out but expected it to be resolved soon

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.