Colored text should appear in topic preview

[color=red]The main issue[/color]

For individuals who enjoy making large topics easy and pleasant to read, being able to use [color=yellow]colored text[/color] is important (although not commonly used) and really helps the page [color=cyan]pop.[/color] However, when typing out a topic it fails to appear on the preview window, unlike other formatting methods (italic, bold, etc). This makes it [color=red]very difficult[/color] to tell if the color you’re attempting to get is correctly set or if the color you did use will look good, and may take some trial-and-error, forcing you to edit the post multiple times before you find the best result.

Image Example

This example is from one of my older topics that uses text colors.
Take note of the amount of edits that post has due to trying to find the right colors.

10 Likes

I’m pretty sure the colours used to update in the topic preview as well, maybe it’s something that was changed when they removed the colouring button that was next to the bold and italic buttons.

[color=yellow]I didn’t know this. Thank you![/color]

2 Likes

Wow I did not know they had this… when did they add this? Also how do you use it?

1 Like

[color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#ED0011]c[/color][color=#E4001A]a[/color][color=#DB0023]n[/color][color=#D3002B]’[/color][color=#CA0034]t[/color] [color=#B80046]r[/color][color=#AF004F]e[/color][color=#A70057]a[/color][color=#9E0060]d[/color] [color=#8C0072]t[/color][color=#83007B]h[/color][color=#7B0083]i[/color][color=#72008C]s[/color][color=#690095],[/color] [color=#5700A7]t[/color][color=#4F00AF]h[/color][color=#4600B8]a[/color][color=#3D00C1]n[/color][color=#3400CA]k[/color] [color=#2300DB]y[/color][color=#1A00E4]o[/color][color=#1100ED]u[/color][color=#0800F6].[/color]

1 Like
If true, get dark mode

Like, please. Don’t destroy your eyes

They’ve had this for a while! I think it has something to do with inspect element. @PostApproval explained it to me a while back! Maybe he can tell you aswell!

EDIT: I found our conversation I can explain it!

its hypertext markup so you use the same attr tags in an html doc for a devforum post

The format for the colors is:

I can’t try or it or else it would go into formatting.

all credits go to @PostApproval for this!

2 Likes

I [color=red]definitely[/color] don’t remember seeing that you could add colored text.

Though I feel like they should add a button in the… Errrm message editor? To change the selected text’s [color=lime]color[/color], right now having to put color tags manually, eh to be honest is a bit tedious, we should have a [color=blue]quick way to change the text’s color[/color].

1 Like

This yellow and blue text is really hard to see with light theme.

I vaguely remember it having a button at one point that did this (though it wasn’t around for very long) as @starmaq had mentioned. So there was at one point a method of quickly adding colored text. Then they just never spoke of it again (to my knowledge).

You can either use the method that @ScytheSlayin had shown or look in the picture that I’ve shown in my post. I boxed and pointed at some of the text that shows you how to use it.

Firstly, pls don’t overuse this thanks.

Secondly, you should report this to Discourse. I believe this is for security reasons as the composer preview uses a different sandbox system to protect staff accounts.

A plugin was recently added to make more formatting options available in the editor. The color option is disabled so it doesn’t appear in the preview, but apparently the server still cooks the HTML to have the colors in it.

Please use coloring sparingly because it is not intentional and will probably be removed/patched out in the future, which subsequently might break the formatting in your post if you do use it.

4 Likes

Removed? Well darn, that’s a shame, but there’s no use complaining about something I can’t do anything about. Thanks for the information.

1 Like