Combating Scam Games

That you know of. Count the number of interns who have made a “stop botting” thread after gaining access to internal details. Your concerns are unwarranted.

To the community: please stop making threads like these. Adding +1 to the pile of hundreds we already have is not going to resolve the issue any more quickly. Roblox is already aware of the issue.

4 Likes

“Your concerns are unwarranted.”

I’m glad you think my concerns are unwarranted, but I simply don’t care because that is honestly a very arrogant and rude thing of you to say.

“It wouldn’t satisfy Roblox users anyway, since they whine about everything”

“To the community: please stop making threads like these.”

Also, you seem to have quite a dislike for the community and generally come off quite arrogant. Maybe you don’t mean to come off arrogant, but that’s how I perceive it. You always seem to think you know better than everyone here on the DevForum, and honestly, you make it seem like a less of a welcoming community. All I did was post one idea to try to combat a problem plaguing Roblox that is hurting the community, and you immediately come at me telling me that my concerns are unwarranted and that I’m wrong.

1 Like

This entire post just seems like unwarranted lashing out against EchoReaper, someone who’s been contributing to the developer forums for as long as they’ve been around. He says these things because there are n threads that are a general “stop scam games” request, which don’t help or solve anything. The engineers are working hard to fix it and already have internal measures in place. There is nothing positive to be gained from these threads.

1 Like

I’m glad he’s contributed to the developer forums for a long time, but coming off and saying things like my concerns are unwarranted is just uncalled for and a very arrogant thing of him to say to me. And frankly, I take that is an insult what he said and I’m sure you or anyone else in my place would too. Also, for someone here in the DevForum with a special role, he shouldn’t be attacking the community saying that all they do is whine because that is quite inappropriate in itself too. He is also misrepresenting Roblox with that special role he has.

Also, maybe the engineers are working hard to fix it and have internal measures in place, but nobody is actually seeing anything positive coming from these changes that you guys keep trying to claim to exist with no evidence to support your claim. I understand the engineers have a tough problem to solve here, but the lack of acknowledgment from them on this issue is why so many people are making these requests and posts because we are being lead to believe that nothing is being done and that the problem is being ignored.

I’m not sure what you mean, because at the point they’re at right now if they were smart, there’d be no reason to not add in the likes on top of the thousands of players they have joining. Having a 9 to 1 dislike ratio makes the game look super suspicious, and if botters were worried about they I’m sure they would have already implemented a step to combat that and add in the likes.

Most (if not all) of the dislikes come from real players who actually get scammed, there’s no reason for a botted account to dislike the game they want to make to the front page. And it’s not like the suggested program/algorithm would wait for a few days to see if the likes come back up. As soon as it hits the threshold of say 5,000 total likes, if there are 80% dislikes the game is automatically flagged.

What I’m saying is the bots don’t like the game at this point because they have no reason to. People get scammed by it regardless of how many people dislike it. Adding an arbitrary “a game must have X like/dislike ratio” will just make it so the bots will automatically like their game. Your solution solves nothing and may only make things worse because the games will have a much higher like/dislike ratio (because all the bots will now start liking the game).

1 Like

Yeah I get what you’re saying there, but my question is why haven’t they already done that? The scam games on the front page already have a horrible dislike to like ratio, so to make it look more legitimate wouldn’t botters already have tried liking their scam games?

There have been a few times where a botted game has had mass likes. It’s within their capabilities at this point.

3 Likes

They haven’t already done that because people fall for it already in mass amounts without them giving the game a great like/dislike ratio. They don’t want to add unnecessary requests to their programs that are supposed to be sending out tens of thousands of them.

3 Likes

There are bot engines that can bot favorites and likes as well as people who sell those likes and favorites.

1 Like

Sounds to me that the best solution then is to have literally any moderator browse the front page like once a day and flag any games that are clearly scam games. From what I’ve seen, the scam games are completely obvious.

Now obviously any games that seem legitimate but are scam games would have to just go through the normal process for flagging a game and waiting until a moderator sees it, but having a moderator check the page once a day would prevent any scam game from staying on the front page for more than a day.

1 Like

I’ve also seem scam models that were being sold by bots, and it was just a script telling you to go to their scams site. So it’s not just games that are being affected.

1 Like

Scam games usually don’t last any longer than a few hours, at that, so they would need to check the front page a lot more often than daily. Usually they don’t last any more than a few minutes if they go up while everyone is awake.

1 Like

Look what I just found

Could that be a coincidence?

2 Likes

Oh, if that’s the case then nevermind I don’t see any real solution. It’s going to be literally impossible to filter scam games out within less than a few minutes without filtering every single game that’s published.

1 Like