Command-R/Ctrl-R should rotate an object by the designated increment

The Command/Ctrl R function is one of the most useful hotkeys builds use while developing, yet at this stage, it is currently locked on “90 degree” turns. This is an inconvenience, especially given that studio has its own increment value for rotation under the Model tab.

This input being utilized for the rotate hotkey would so much more helpful if this were implemented than the current functionality.

• :+1: Agree
  • :-1: Disagree

0 voters

1 Like

I’m not sure…
I don’t know if that would be a good idea.
The default 90° is just the most basic form of rotation there can be, and anything more fancy should be made by the Rotate tool IMO.
With the 90° rotation, I expect the object to return to it’s initial rotation after 4 clicks. If the angle would be different, in some cases it could never get fixed to that “90° grid” again.

I don’t want the rotation increment to have any effect on the Ctrl+R rotation. I’m way more used to it’s behavior right now. Ctrl+R rotates by 90°, and Ctrl+T also rotates by 90°.
By the way, what would happen to Ctrl+T behavior? I mean, the whole point of Ctrl+T is to flip an object. Flipping means at least 90° vertical rotation of an object in my book. It could no longer be called “flipping” if it would only rotate by just few degrees. If Ctrl+T would keep that behavior, it would be weird for Ctrl+R to behave differently.

The only way I could see this feature to work out, is for it to be a user preference setting in File→Settings. But other than that, no, I don’t want this to ever be a default behavior.

4 Likes

I agree. You should just use the rotation tool to rotate more finely, and the 90 degree R and T rotations for quickly flipping an object around. I think it’s fine how it is.

1 Like

I find that the Ctrl-R is the quickest and simplest way to rotate something quickly, and since there is already a functionality for rotation increments, it really doesn’t make much sense that the input isn’t tied to the function. There is a difference between a rotate and a flip functionality.

I am curious though, do others use the hotkey as a secondary rotate function for even rotations specifically?

The hotkey is just R by the way. There is no modifier. I’m going to have to agree with others here and say that switching it from a 90-degree turn is a bad idea. If you want fine-grained control, then you should use the rotate or transform tools, as that’s what they’re made for. Changing the behavior of the r hotkey removes support for the quick rotate use case, without adding anything substantially beneficial that you can’t already accomplish with other tools.

If you want the keybind to behave like this, then you should write your own plugin that does this, and use plugin actions to bind the plugin into the same key.

4 Likes

I also use just the R hotkey, but that works only when dragging an object, doesn’t it?
Ctrl+R works the same way, except you don’t need to hold it with your mouse AFAIK
Someone correct me if I’m wrong :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes