Compatibility Lighting becomes Retro Tone Mapping [Sunset + Migration]

I wouldn’t count on it. As much as I’d love custom presets, roblox rarely delivers more than the bare necessities (they dont always do that either) when releasing something with a ton of potential.

2 Likes

Ah, I see. After making a few adjustments, my night time lighting now satisfies what I was looking for along with some new improvements. I’ve also noticed that I’m able to use Retro Tone Mapping with other lighting presets without sacrificing the general color style I was looking for.

In light of the information you’ve given to me and my new observations, I will be switching my game over to the ShadowMap technology, since it appears to work beautifully with the retro style my game is going for.

I do not have any other problems at the moment in regards to this update. I appreciate you taking the time to respond and clear things up!

9 Likes

I’m excited to hear about the want to extend the tonemapper in the future! The theorectical ability to customize a tonemapper preset can be extremely powerful as we could get lighting scenarios not available to us beforehand. Especially if a tonemapper preset is similar to other engines where we can customize the lift, gamma, and gain.

1 Like

I was using a bloom in the image, but it was very weak and after trying the bloom on actual compatibility i can confirm it definitely only happens on voxel.

Even without a bloom, white blocks will still have a slight blur because of this effect. Very annoying and could ruin alot of games if not fixed with an update in the future.

To say that big games such as classics, like MM2 uses Compatibility lighting.

Doesn’t Natural Disaster Survival use it?

Yes, Natural Disaster Survival does indeed use Compatibility Lighting. There are many popular games that use Compatibility Lighting among them are Work at a Pizza Place, Prison Life, Retro Studio, Murder Mystery 2.

Some of the games you have mentioned doesn’t use Compatibility Lighting for example, Adopt me uses Voxel Lighting and Welcome to Bloxburg uses ShadowMap Lighting. Two of the most popular Obby games like Tower of Hell and Tower of Misery uses Voxel Lighting. Not every game that looks retro or bloxy or basic uses Compatibility Lighting and the number of games using it are lesser than we think but I still get what are you trying to say and that doesn’t change the fact that a few other popular games do.

You could check the Lighting technology a game uses by pressing (Shift+F2) or (Shift+F2+FN).

5 Likes

Bro just give us a shader graph😞

Will there soon be a way to detect what lighting technology is being currently used by the client? I’ve found that my game looks much better with the new ColorGradingEffect if the user is using Voxel/Shadowmap, but the same cannot be said for Future lighting.

Voxel:

Voxel + ColorGradingEffect:

Future:

Future + ColorGradingEffect:

2 Likes

Why? You literally work on the engine?

You could simply add a property to LocalLights that, independent of lighting mode, allows a developer to clamp the maximum brightness inside the given light radius to whatever they’d like it to be. This would resolve a good chunk of the issues.

In saying this, you are forgetting what players and developers alike have been saying for many years - it should not be the developer’s responsibility to have to fix things that Roblox arbitrarily decided to break.

How about keeping some form of clamping behaviour as an option?

9 Likes

And that means we shouldn’t resist actively-negligent changes because…?

A push that a large number of voices on and off of this forum have opposed? Lovely. I’m deeply sorry if you think realism should be the end-goal for everything, but the honest truth of the matter was best said by Steam’s founder Gabe Newell:

“I never thought to myself that realism is fun. I go play games to have fun.”

I’m really sorry but who exactly put you in charge of deciding what aesthetical designs are and aren’t worth maintaining? What about mobile users and people on lower-end hardware, do they not matter to you either?

This isn’t true either, as noted in the original post there is no way provided for developers to preserve the current, delicately crafted nature of their lights and shadows. This is not a positive change for anyone - the way the announcement has been phrased has been to try and make that less obvious to the “average joe”.

3 Likes

I noticed that the SunRays effect also changes with this tonemap (making it one of the most notable differences when compared to ‘Compatibility’).
Here are some pictures below.

Compatibility:

Voxel (w/ ColorGrading):

I must say: I found this one the most beautiful and visually appeling. :star_struck:

I also brang the same sample but w/ Legacy:

Note: I use and older Studio version to get this sample.

Aaand (default) Voxel:

2 Likes

what’s your bloom settings? these are mine and i don’t get the glow problem

it seems that putting bloom on a low threshold (<1) makes white/high-color-value parts glow, kinda interesting

So the new colour grading is more faithful to legacy than compatibility?

All settings at 1. It’s weird - the effect isn’t there anymore.

1 Like

This luau function provides an approximation with different floating point precision. The most accurate approximation would be to do all operations above with 32 bit floating point values, but it seems Luau does not support that and defaults to 64 bit floating point.

If you’re referring to the sun rays, so yes
but the tonemap itself mostly follows ‘Compatibility’.

1 Like

DO NOT ADD THIS UPDATE. And YOU ruined my game. I can’t EVEN do anything with it now because nothing looks good without compatibility. Are you serious, Roblox? Please don’t add this update. I LITERALLY USE COMPATIBILITY BECAUSE I CAN KEEP A AREA EXTREMELY DARK AND HAVE OTHER AREAS WITH LIGHT WITHOUT USING YOUR TERRIBLE POINT LIGHTS, AND SURFACE LIGHTS! BECAUSE THE LIGHTS SHOW THIS DUMB CIRCLE ON THE CEILING! AND THE LIGHTS OVERLAP AND IT LOOKS TERRIBLE! I AVOIDED THIS BY USING COMPATIBILITY!

NOW I GOTTA DEAL WITH AREAS BEING TOO BRIGHT NOW!

if you don’t remove this roblox I’M LEGIT GONNA QUIT THE GAME. YOU RUINED MY GAME THE LIGHTING IS TERRIBLE NOW!!!

2 Likes

Will you guys be adding color banding lighting with this in the future? It’d be great for low poly styles, or just any stylized games.

1 Like