Compatibility Lighting becomes Retro Tone Mapping [Sunset + Migration]

I’m gonna have to assume you’ve neither read the full post nor migrated.

It literally looks the same. The lights can easily be fixed with the provided codes and things like disabing shadows (unless they’re vital),
I don’t think entirely quitting is the solution to “bad lights”. Are you sure about this?

3 Likes

Dude I LITERALLY CAN’T GET MY OLD LIGHTING BACK BECAUSE EITHER IT’S TOO DARK. OR TOO LIT UP! I LITERALLY BARELY PUT MY BRIGHTNESS TO “2” AND IT’S BRIGHT BECAUSE MY DANCEFLOOR TURNS IT TO WHITE! AND I RELIED ON OUTDOORAMBIENT TO MAKE MY GAME LIT UP IN A AREA BECAUSE THE POINTLIGHTS ARE SO BAD AND THE LIGHTING ON ROBLOX IS LITERALLY TERRIBLE! WHERE IT OVERLAPS AND IT DOES ALL OF THIS STUFF

I love the new ColorGradingEffect. It has a lot of potential, and not just for mimicking the retro Roblox style.

And screaming in all caps helps get your point across how…? Yes, you’ll have to make tweaks to your game’s lighting.

7 Likes

The migration can easily be undone and you’ve got 2 whole months to fix the lights (and optimize other parts like “dark areas”) before compatibility is removed.

1 Like

I literally told you it’s not possible. I quit I hate this platform, this company needs to learn to stop removing stuff and breaking games. I’m done!

1 Like

Bye Bye, if you so insist.
Have you even made an attempt to adjust the lighting for Voxel + Retro tonemapping?

7 Likes

Get off the computer. Go to bed. Deal with your game tomorrow. I’m sure you’ll figure out how to deal with your game’s issues then.

7 Likes

Will the issue with surface lights in Future technology get addressed?

Didn’t I just tell you that roblox’s pointlights, surfacelights, and lighting in general is just bad in general and my game gets overly bright now, the lighting just overlaps with each other and it’s either too dark, or too bright, if I add more lights it’s too bright. If I reduce the brightness it’s too dark, anything more than a brightness of 0.2 is too bright. I don’t like using roblox’s terrible lights I rely on “outdoorambient” to make my game light up. Also, I want a area in my game to be extremely dark in the same building.

(ROBLOX PLEASE READ THIS) If roblox makes it so “colorgrading” makes it so pointlights, surfacelights, and any lighting in general even if the brightness is like inf or 10 it won’t make the area super bright because that’s why I liked compatibility, and everyone else if they fix that then I don’t care if they remove compatibility, roblox please ADD THIS. Because my dancefloor turns white and I have over 40 pontlights at a brightness 0.2 and it’s super bright.

AND PLEASE MAKE IT SO EVEN IF I HAVE A AMBIENT OF 100,100,100 or my brightness is 2 I can make a area super dark and other areas lit up using “ambient” because that’s only possible using “compatibility” and outdoorambient

6 Likes

If the lighting was previously set to ‘Compatibility’, it can be reverted; once migrated, the ‘Compatibility’ option disappears. But I realised that if the game lighting was previously set to any other system (like ‘Voxel’), the ‘Compatibility’ option is no longer available.

2 Likes

I haven’t played aroudn much with it, and I can’t wait to see how accurate this will be with the compatibility! My biggest issues with compatibility were some other changes from the original legacy lightning, so I would love to see some of those also probably getting replicated with this new feature or other lightning features in the future.

One thing I would really like to see in updates to the lightning system, would be higher quality
(compare this to roblox’s 2012 shadow quality)

I would love to see some shadow resolution quality improvements as well, i don’t like
the shadow softness being higher than 0.2 because it looks too blurry

This issue however, does not happen with dynamic lights in future lightning, and looks a lot better!

With new changes coming up, I would absolutely LOVE seeing some shadow improvements too, so please take this into consideration!

6 Likes

Yeah, but if it wasn’t set to compatibility in the first place then the people complaining about it have pretty much no reason to, lol

Same thing, shadows on roblox in general look horrible with softness at 0.2+
But then, you look at the shadows from lights an they are beautiful.
Why Roblox. WHY!

1 Like

I haven’t seen any games so far that use “Compatability” lighting, why not just give us global illumination instead of changing something that nobody uses?

Natural disaster survival does use it

1 Like

Maybe even millions because it was replaced the legacy lighting

1 Like

Does anyone even use combability lighting or voxel lighting? You can just turn off global shadows if you don’t want shadows. (I never used combability or voxel so idk what they do, I’m guessing they disable the shadows in ur game.)

Neither of them disable shadows

Compatibility is an emulation of the original lighting technology roblox used and voxel is the first separate technology introduced

Compatibility is just voxel but with weaker shadows and a localLight brightness clamp.

Would also like to mention I see people use both of them far more often than future and shadowmap lol

3 Likes

Voxel and Compatibility use a different shadow system that consists of 4x4 voxels instead of the realistic sun shadows that you see in shadowmap and future.

Both technologies use the same point/surface/spotlight technology you see in shadowmap.

1 Like

Addendum: I do however want to know if you guys will be taking steps towards more accurately replicating compatibility, maybe even legacy lighting over the following 2 months. Although turning compatibility into a tone map was a huge step up from just completely removing it, a lot of people have pointed out that it was rather lazily made, containing a bunch of flaws separating it from compatibility (such as shadows being exaggerated and lights totally blinding you if they’re anything above brightness 1, which it would not do previously). Games like Flood Escape: Classic, which still have a fairly active playerbase but don’t receive updates anymore, I assume would be hit real bad by the things mentioned above.

Although I did initially praise you for “keeping it easy to make a classic style game in the transition away from compatibility”, and while I still hold true to that, it would be hard to keep it 100% accurate unless you choose absolutely perfect lighting conditions for your game. It won’t work out well with the current prototype because it’s just too inconvenient

5 Likes