Compatibility Lighting becomes Retro Tone Mapping [Sunset + Migration]

It is so weird seeing only 3 lighting technologies and also why doesn’t the ColorGradingEffect clamp the Brightness?
Oh also you could adjust lights or try to use use multiple lights or even try to use ColorCorrection to get the same effect but it’s more convenient to not have to do that.

Just use a ColorCorrection with Brightness 0.1

I don’t like this update a whole lot but damn you’re exaggerating.

2 Likes

Another controversial update, again…

I personally loved the Compatibility Lighting that I mostly used for games.
But again, taking away another thing half the OG Roblox Community loves.

2 Likes

I agree! This really need to be added to Roblox as well. There’s so much cool tricks and possibilities you can do with Gobo.

1 Like

They provided ColorGradingEffect feature which have ToneMapper property that allows you to change preset from Default to “Retro” which replicates the original Compatibility lighting, in Voxel lighting preset. You can easily migrate your game, as well there’s script at bottom of post that helps with converting brightness of lights to replicate the original brightness known in Compatibility lighting.

2 Likes

Are you aware that Roblox team provided script at end of post to replicate the original brightness of your lights? That will help you with keeping it looking as original as possible without issues of dark or lit or whatever.

You aren’t wrong about that. Although kind of similar thing can be done by simply using Highlight (lines might not be as thick though)

Highlight isnt a normal outline. It only outlines it depending on your angle, it wont do all corners of the shape itself. It also appears through objects.

Apparently you can make identical (to the original feature, even more accurate than selection) outlines with “LineHandleAdornment” but i’ve got no idea how to use it.

1 Like

Great job on that Roblox, Your seriously going to kill old roblox simulators if you put up with removing Compatibility lighting, Even mine uses that too. (Including my paintball game aswell)

Rest in peace, Compatibility :dove:

1 Like

I don’t think this is going to kill them, it just makes creating them significantly less convenient

1 Like

Can you guys at least add Occlusion Culling so Future isn’t as bad. And it’s not even a problem with my gpu or any other gpus since rendering triangles is fine with the engine, but the shadows and other properties surrounding Future are absolutely poor in performance and high in memory consumption for lower end devices.

(even on mobile you guys disabled the feature because you know it’s just way too intensive, please do optimize it)

Please do think about fixing the most recent lighting technology before removing the older more compatible lighting technology features!!

(hence compatibility a pretty favorite lighting tech for low end games and old style designs, that’s why Phantom Forces has a unique style and maintaining high fps with it’s low poly style cause it’s a perfect combination.)

2 Likes

Voxel with the new Retro tone mapping option is the effective successor to Compatibility, and unless I missed something I don’t think Voxel will be removed – at least in the foreseeable future. It’s not identical, though, so game devs that want to preserve their game’s (or games’) aesthetic will have to tweak their lighting as needed.

Ah, well you got a point but I don’t think it was really necessary to remove compatibility out of this section since it is a very miniscule update and they should probably start fixing some major flaws with the other technologies.

I mean they could’ve made compatibility more useful if they had given us shader apis but I guess they can only do so much

1 Like

Maybe one of the ‘Compatibility’ system’ aspects that I’ll be missing are the weaker shadows. At least they could have provided a specific property for ‘Voxel’ to maintain the ‘Compatibility’ shadows.

1 Like

Oooh. Hope this becomes something really good.

Yes, it uses it. And we’re not talking about the performance decrease and lag due to the removal of this.

I found a trick to set the Technology to Compatibility for new ROBLOX Games/Experiences

**IMPORTANT**

I don’t recommend using this trick because ROBLOX is planning on entirly removing Compatibility
If you choose to use this trick then when Compatibility is removed your ROBLOX Game/Experience might not look right
I recommend using Voxel with ColorGrading so you can ensure that when Compatibility is removed your ROBLOX Game/Experience will still look right

The trick
  1. Save as rbxlx
  2. Open file in any text editor of your choice
  3. Look for “Technology”
  4. Change the number to 0 or 2
  5. Save the changes
  6. Open in Studio
  7. Done.
1 Like

This is no where close to compatibility lighting! What the heck! why not just let us use either? You don’t have decisive data backing one having average better stats than the other!

no because im pretty sure that would break the lighting engine if you change it midgame

1 Like

For me, this is horrible. My games rely ENTIRELY on compatibility lighting, because the other lighting modes look ugly in them.

3 Likes