Compensating for high-ping players (Lag compensation)

Hey!

I’ve been looking into topics such as lag compensation when making a gun system, since I want to make sure that high ping users can play without any major issues aswell.

I’ve done a lot of things, such as writing a module for saving and getting player positions, compensating using velocity and a few other options.

Issue is, none seem to do this well enough to be used in production and that’s why I am making this post.

I have 3 questions:

1. Are high ping players common enough to compensate for them, or are they rare enough and do you not have to bother with them?

2. Is lag compensation worth it? Does it offer well enough of a solution to be worth the hassle?

3. Does anyone have any other ideas for possible solutions? I’m open to anything.

I’ll keep this post updated with my findings.

Thanks!

1 Like

Are your gun systems clientside?

The gun sends 1 fire remote holding direction, origin & other relevant info. The server attempts to check this but will fail with high ping players as the info given through the remote will not be up to date after the server tries to check it, while it might’ve been when the client sent it

And after the server receives that information? Is the client fired with that information for the client to render the physics (client side)?

Nope; there’s no visuals thus far since I want to get hitreg working securely first.

Edir: But yeah, once I’ll implement visuals it’ll send a remote back to all clients to render visuals.

I would draft a response but I am honestly not qualified passed the mere basics to fully answer this question. Here’s a resource that covered a topic similar to this quite well

In the end to compensate you would choose security or accuracy or some middle ground.