Confused on game mechanic

My game is going to be an open-world single-player story game. But it would be pretty dull without a primary mechanic i.e Pokèmon is mainly focused on turn-based combat.

I don’t know whether the main mechanic should be:

1. A turn-based combat system
  2. Completely based on solving puzzles (quite like OneShot)
  3. A third-person combat system.

You can either vote on the below poll or tell me some more main mechanic ideas below!

• Make a turn-based combat system, like Pokèmon!
  • Make an entirely puzzle-based game, like OneShot!
  • Make a combat system!

0 voters

I think you should do (like the most of games) a real time combat system, it feels more realistic.

I’d say that it depends completely on what your game is about.

‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎

That is what your game is, not what it is about (the story).

1 Like

Turn based just allows the user to plan out their actions. Whether it’s real time or turn based should not affect whether you include puzzles or not.

Tie them in together. For example a skeleton dungeon with a crystal that brings the skeletons back to life - if you destroy the crystal, all skeletons lose regen ability.
That’s a puzzle.

But if you’re going to include puzzles in combat, make sure that the player isn’t limited to the single puzzle requirement to move on. Players should be rewarded for solving a problem on different ways or bypassing the problem entirely.

1 Like

I’ve decided to make it half puzzle-based and half platformer-based. Thank you for your time.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.