Connection to Roblox servers keeps fading in and out, making games fustrating to play

Pretty much any game I play, like every X seconds where X is like anywhere between 5 and 30, my connection to the Roblox server will be dropped for a full second and then reconnect. This is noticeable as my Ping will start to climb up and up and then quickly drop back down to average values, while replications freeze on my screen. I seriously doubt the problem is on my end, as I can stream Youtube and Twitch at the same time with no buffering/interruptions, while the issue is currently occurring on Roblox games.

• How often does the bug happen (Everytime/sometimes/rarely)? Happens every time, although X can vary on the server, and can vary per player in the same server.

• Where does the bug happen (www, gametest, etc) Is it level-specific? On Live production, any game. On Wifi or Ethernet.

• Would a screenshot or video help describe it to someone? If so, post one.

https://gyazo.com/fad5ac43e19848728dd0fe7e601cfa67
My normal ping reported by the game was around 95.

• When did the bug start happening? If we can tie it to a specific release that helps us figure out what we broke. Seems like it started happening like 1 to 2 weeks ago.

• Anything else that you would want to know about the bug if it were your job to find and fix it.
    I got the Roblox server IP by using nettop and ran the ping command on it to get the screenshot. I also notice the server’s IP would change like every minute or so, but I don’t think its related to the issue. The screenshot is also from a server with just me in it and nobody else.
    Happens for Windows and Mac.
    Also the large daily active communities for my two sports games are having the same problem. The issue greatly effects gameplay as having consistent connection is a must in any team sports game. They all say it started around 1-2 weeks ago without me making any updates to either game.

7 Likes

heres a minute of my ping just acting crazy:

What makes you sure it’s Roblox and not your internet? Have you tried other UDP-based games, maybe?

1 Like

For one, its not only me, and two I have never had this problem with Roblox before until like 1-2 weeks ago. I also don’t play other games on my computer so I wouldn’t know, but other people I have talked to with the same issue say they can play CSGO with no problems.

I don’t think its my internet cause everything else works perfectly fine.

If you can play CS:GO fine, then it’s definitely a Roblox issue. Just wanted to make sure.

1 Like

Been eyeing on the forums to see if it was just me and my games but alas! I have this same problem, and probably everyone else. Been getting heaps of complaints from players from my game since 1 to 2 weeks ago, like OP says. Same thing is happening with my older games I haven’t touched.

4 Likes

i am looking into the issue, I did try the game 146204374 and did not see it happen. i played a few times for about 5 minutes each. is there any thing else that i should try? there were 5 or 6 players on the ice with me.

1 Like

I’m out right now (be home in like 15 mins), but I would think not having god like internet might help reproduce it. I get around 40-50 Mb down speed on Wi-Fi, but even people with Ethernet in my group have complained they get the issue too, just at lower rates. The issue also vary hugely, some times for me it’s like every 5 seconds, while other times its like every 90 seconds.

1 Like

so atm its really bad for me now, and its not just spiking, its staying very high.
heres a gif of me pinging the server and the ping recorded by the Roblox client (this is the IP which the udp4 connection is using).

Any reason they are giving 2 completely difference results?

Edit: also just now I’m streaming the Stars game from my computer using Fox Sports Go and its streaming perfectly fine with no buffering while I’m having huge ping and lag in a roblox server, so its not my connection.

1 Like

our ping includes the time through our stack.
can you sell me the ip address of the server you are connected to?

1 Like

mis type not sell, tell.

1 Like

like right now? or the one from my post?

yep

I’m in this server atm 23.106.21.114, it hasn’t spiked often so far yet, but the ping is still above normal values. The one from my post is 199.115.112.161

do you mind telling me what time zone you are in?

Central, Texas time

i will keep chasing this, thanks for the information.
i will try this later when i dont have great internet :slight_smile:

I would argue 42 Mbps down and 8.33 Mbps up is not bad for the average Roblox user.

1 Like

So yesterday I was playing Roblox at my School on their network (which is typically faster than my home network), and I was still getting this issue, so I know for a fact now it’s not related to my internet connection.

I wish I could provide more information on how to reproduce it, but it just seems to be random, although it seems to be happening to me now every single time in any server I join.

Any update on this? It is still occurring for me in any game I play and a majority of people who play my games.