Console is spamming errors about "unable to download sound data"

I’ve noticed this problem is consistent with the Developer Console. Doesn’t matter if it’s been outputted once, twice, or in this case, 1228 times in around 5 seconds. This severely hurts an otherwise great-performing game and there’s no reason the error message needs to spam the console.

Something like this can cause a game to go from being a stable 60 FPS to a crawling 2 FPS in around a second and needs to be changed.

The sound that is being referred to in the error is the following:

Should also be noted that this occurs with pretty much any warning or error message. The console just repeatedly spams it. Would be a lot better in my opinion of the console automatically condenses said warning / error messages into a single message.

4 Likes

I agree. I think performance would be better if it acted like the Output window in Studio and if the same thing is outputted 2 times in a row it just put (x2) at the end. This would prevent it from having to create additional labels every time.

However, this could be looked at more as a suggestion and not a bug. I don’t think this is in the right category.

2 Likes

The bug being that an error is thrown that the user cannot do anything about each time the particular sound is played, some of the time that it is played. The sound seems to play normally on the website and in Studio and this error isn’t always thrown seemingly.

1 Like

It’d be better if the console detected a duplicate string of any kind, it just cuts off all future error or warning messages. Things like Datastore errors and in this case, sound errors, can come out of the blue and drop a game’s FPS severely.

There’s no reason the console needs to spam a single message a million times over.

4 Likes

I managed to fix the “unable to download sound data” thing by instead of feeding the sound object raw IDs, giving it a string with “rbxassetid://” followed by the ID.

Happened to my game, but only occasionally. I recycle Sound instances as needed, because when new Sound objects are created, they do not immediately play (maybe 3 or 4 frames later).

Recycling sounds and playing the same ones instead of creating many different instances in scripts reduces the number of times the error is thrown, and plus, reduces sound lag.