Constant Error 277 / Game Crashing

This is my 3rd Topic on game breaking / crashing issues…

Unsure where to place this, it sort of involves all kinds of things.

Error 277, Disconnected From Game has started to occur basically anytime during the game’s playtesting period. This issue began occurring shortly after Studio Release 581.

This can occur anytime during gameplay, but mostly occurs between a period of 5 - 40 minutes upon joining the server. I need some assistance on figuring out what might be causing the issue.

Here are some indications.

• Rapidly increasing Ping nearing Crash / Error 277.
    This has become evident that it is some sort of hint as to what is wrong within the game, yet looking around DevForum and several other results return nothing helpful in resolving the issue.

A sudden spike in Ping before Error 277 occurs.

• Memory usage.
    The game being worked on is known for its’ extreme memory usages (Especially on capable-hardware), with 2000+ mb client memory usage being a common thing. I understand that this is somewhat bad for performance and is constantly trying to improve it. Despite the seemingly alarming memory usage, most of which are used for map rendering and not scripts.

But client memory shouldn’t be the problem, as previously it ran perfectly fine despite it, right?

Server memory usage at nearly 6300 mb, Client memory usage at nearly 2900 mb.

• Crash upon teleporting / resetting character.
    The game pretty much crashes if you were to teleport to a faraway location or respawn somewhere else where it is not rendered in yet. This results in a ping spike and error 277 shortly after.

• Script usage.
    Every script in the game is now monitored and tested before released into the main game, they all perform as they should and maintains below 3% in usage. No spikes in usage are to be seen and have tried playing the game with every script removed.

• Crash upon high speeds.
    The game faces the crash if you move too quickly around the game, this would cause everything to stop rendering in and freezing before Error 277 pops-up.

• Shift+F5 network receive always Red.
    Uncertain whether this might be related, but the network receive is pretty much always red regardless of the actual connectivity. With ‘messagesinresendqueue’ always showing a number between 1 and 3.

• Cannot connect to servers. ADDED 7/29/2023
    This occurs every now and then, with Error 277 and 279 as the message for the disconnection, despite the player hasn’t even joined the game yet.

• Terrain failing to load in. ADDED 7/29/2023
    This only occurs on mobile devices, it causes the terrain (Both visually and hitbox) to completely disappear, causing the player to fall off the map.

Those are all the indications (for now, will be updated when more indications are found…).

What do you guys think the issue may be, perhaps even just an insight?

2 Likes

Yeah, when you have about 6300mb of server memory and over 2000+ clients memory, things can get out of hand. If I recall correctly, Roblox will automatically disconnect all clients if it reaches a certain threshold (Typically EC:277 or EC: 279).

It may be in your best interest to optimize the game. If you think it may be related to the building, then try using StreamingEnabled, it may solve your problem a bit. Also, do keep in mind that small memory leaks in one script can have a big difference later on, it won’t be very obvious until it’s been running for a while.

1 Like

Appreciate the reply,

I can almost comfirm there are no memory leaks, as the game crashes way earlier on before any scripts could even start to use any of the resources.

StreamingEnabled is on for the game.

The majority (70% or so) of memory goes to use in rendering, my team of 3 developers are currently trying to replace all of the part models with meshes to reduce parts and reworking older areas of the map.

For reference of the map size,
2048x2048 Baseplate x21 in Squares

Update :
This post has been active for too long, from the answers I have received, it seems that this is an engine limitation.

Thank you for everyone’s continued follow-up.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.