Constraints on Skinned Meshes & Bones

Recently skinned meshes were released, does anybody know how to have these work with constraints for things like ragdolls, the flexible body of a snake, ropes, etc? ie have the bones be physically controlled.

And if this is possible, can it be done with a single rigged mesh with bones, or would each individual piece need to be attached with constraints and then utilize skinned meshes for the visual seamless connection?

3 Likes

I haven’t played around with them to that degree, but I think it’d not work with them.

Skinned meshes are just bones in one mesh. I’ve tried rigging a model with Motor6, which would result in the mesh getting clipped and bones breaking. (see video below)

As far as I understand, constraints work similarly to Motor6s. I might be wrong, too, but your best bet would probably be to try and animate it yourself.

1 Like

Surely there’s a way to have physics take control of the bones, no?
For instance, if someone had a character rigged with Bones, how would you have the character ragdoll upon death?

I can’t imagine the only way to use Bones & Skinned Meshes being premade animations.

2 Likes

Pretty sure there is, and it probably would require some hacky ways of doing it.

2 Likes