Constructive criticism on my obby

Anybody mind giving any constructive criticism on my obby here? Just keep it :100: I’ll take it on the chin. Currently 110 stages and I’m going to 150. Enjoy! :+1:t5:

2 Likes

It’s not bad, but could use some originality. Right now it’s basically like every other obby game on Roblox.

2 Likes

Preciate it and thats true. Hell I’m new to roblox studio so I don’t really know how to make anything with originality like a storymode inside the obby or something. I ain’t trying to use this as an excuse, it’s just when I started on my game I didn’t know how to add all the cool effects and stuff like that. You got any recommendations I can add in that’ll spice the game up more?

1 Like

Sure, maybe unique obby mechanics or, like you said, a storyboard

2 Likes

Heard you, preciate you for checkin it out! :sunglasses: :+1:t5:

1 Like

Very fun game, just the right amount of difficulty where you aren’t dying constantly and you also aren’t completing every level in like 2 seconds. I think the level thing might be broken though because I once got teleported to level 35 when I was on level 2 and died.

1 Like

Hell yeah mane I made sure to make the difficulty go up and down, plus the game’s mainly for children. Also im confused about that checkpoint bug. That confuses me because nobody’s had a checkpoint bug in the game for a while, but I’ll see if anything’s wrong in my checkpoint and/or progress bar scripts. :sunglasses: :+1:t5:

The difficulty is good and it’s actually fun to play
and like i mentioned the reset button that you can do

i also notice that some parts aren’t aligned so i recommend using an incremental when building, it will heavily enhance your builds

that’s about it, its a good game

1 Like

Preciate you for playin mane and I’ll add that Reset keybind immediately! Also how do i do the snap to grid thing?

It’s in the model tab, I use .125, and 0.05 for small models

1 Like

Im happy you showed this because I just play around with the numbers when im lining up parts! Preciate it and have a good evening. :sunglasses:

1 Like

First of all, I am far from being within your target audience, but I must say that for me the coloring of this place is far too bright and in your face. Colorful is fine, but this takes it to the next level. A more concrete and restricted theme might work better instead of “rainbow”. I have no idea what your target audience enjoys, but that’s just me.

For your checkpoint problem:

• I believe that the first time the player loads in something is not loading in their player correctly, so that when they go to the 2nd checkpoint it doesn’t properly transition the player. If I reset progress, taking me back to the beginning, and I walk up to the 2nd checkpoint as usual, then it works properly.
  • However, if I skip over (by not touching it, moving around the edge of) the 2nd checkpoint and move directly on to the 3rd checkpoint, it will not transition the player into the 3rd checkpoint stage.

You might solve this in several ways.

1. Do testing in the place with your “output” window open, and make sure that when the player loads the scripts that handle their stage is loading properly when the player does. If you find that the script is not properly loading, you can implement :WaitForChild() into your script so that the script does not move forward until it has found the dependency it requires. Otherwise, repair the script as the output so indicates is required.
  2. Making the actual “checkpoint block” an invisible block without collision that covers the entire base of the “checkpoint” area. Meaning that when the player moves through the area, they will transition to the next checkpoint without depending on the player moving correctly onto the checkpoint block as it is now.
  3. Retrofitting the current script to allow players to “skip” stages without needing them to necessarily have passed the previous one. I don’t know how the checkpoint system is currently being managed, but it seems like something does not allow players to move on to a later stage without first “making it to” the previous stage. I think this is largely a useless feature of the script, and I can’t think of an actual benefit to having it function this way. If you had a hacker that could fly, they will reach the end of the obby with significant ease either way in either event. Just make sure that you track the player’s checkpoint progress so that you can still use your “Skip Stage” product.

AMiserable_Man is right that sticking to an increment is best. .125 is a good increment because it can originate from 1. 1/2 = 0.5, 0.5/2 = 0.25, 0.25/2 = .125.
However, I do not recommend using 0.05 as that is a different increment system. 0.05(2) = 0.1, 0.1(2) = 0.2, 0.2(2) = 0.4, 0.4(2) = 0.8, 0.8(2) = 1.6. Mixing two different incremental scales will inevitably result in building that is not congruent.

For the substance of the place, the difficulty is fine, but there are several obstacles present here that are a bit “outdated”. I don’t think there’s anything inherently wrong with them being outdated, but I think as a game developer it would benefit you to try to put a new spin on an old classic. For example, the fading stairs that have been a mainstay since 2008, perhaps you could make sections of the stairs shorter in width than others to catch the unassuming players off guard, or maybe you can place “kill bricks” along the stairs.

Anyway, most of all, just keep going. Looking good.

1 Like

Heard you, a few of my friends and some people on here told me to make all the killbricks neon and I agree some of the neons like lime green, yellow and pink are so bright that they look like they expand the hitbox. So I’ll rainbow less things because it’s repetitive.

I can’t test the game on the laptop I use because its as slow as christmas, so i just publish the game after each part i lay down and test on xbox or my phone. I’ll look into that script though because very rarely it doesn’t let people move onto the next stage without resetting the progress. Where should I put the WaitForChild function though?

YEAH SOMETHING LIKE THIS RIGHT HERE IS WHAT IM GONNA DO THIS MORNING! THANKS FOR REMINDING ME :sunglasses:

Hell yeah I like the idea of killbricks on the stairs, how should I do em though? Should I make a few neon on there?

Preciate the positivity gang, I won’t stop and thank you for your review :sunglasses: :+1: