Constructive Criticism on Tutorial UI?

Forced or not, the intention should be to make the game as interesting as possible. Provoking the need to administer oneself in a way that interrupts what could be the meaningful progression and flow of a game will undoubtedly turn people away. Not every person, indeed, but I, for one, would feel put off going through a tutorial in such a way as you’ve described.

Here’s a throwback to my childhood: the tutorial level of a game I substantially enjoyed. Notice that there’s no hand-holding: no omniscient UI telling you to push certain buttons or do certain things. We as players know that WASD is to run; we know a button creates a function. Watch this and see how little input there is from the system itself, and how a child audience is motivated to play on because they fill the role of the main character (in this event, SpongeBob) rather than being reminded that they are, in fact, a human player.

Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ-VbV57P6I (gameplay starts 1:38)

Don’t emphasise the position of the player as a human. Immerse them into your game in a way that does not rely on constant feedback from the engine. This tutorial teaches you who the enemies are with cutscenes, what buttons to press because they have hand signs, etc. It’s not that complex to allow humans to use their own cognition.

Might also recommend looking into The Design of Everyday Things by Donald Norman if this interests you.

1 Like

Just a small minor mistake, but change pressed to press

As @PurpSinister said, it really depends on the type/genre of the game, and how the game mechanics are. If it’s just another simulator, most people would know what to do and how to do it.

Although if it was a game that had a more unique perspective to it, I’d feel like a short tutorial is necessary to show players how the game works, how to achieve this and that.

But on a different note, I do agree with you. Tutorials do seem to push away the players interest to play the game.

So overall, just add a short tutorial (if your game isn’t that popular in a genre that most games are nowadays) that shouldn’t be more then 15 - 20 seconds to fully explain how your game mechanics work.

1 Like

Basically I would do one or two things.

One thing you could do if you wanted to have long text like that is to have a voice recording going over the tutorial. Usually you do not want to say a lot in the tutorials you want more visuals. You may have a younger audience, and kids do not like to read.

So either have a voice recording going over the tutorial or have more visuals!

Hope that helped :smiley:

Looks good, but it may be hard to read for some people who have disabilities, so I think you should make it bigger.

1 Like