Constructive Criticism on Tutorial UI?

(I understand there is a typo, I just typed it very fast)

Current UI from Criticism:

1 Like

The dialogue text seems to close up to the button and title, try moving everything down a bit to the center and make the rectangle more spaced, aka padding. Looks pretty good overall though :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Like this?

It seems pretty unclear to me if i was a new player with not much knowledge about games,
The current bubble seems not so appropriate to give a essential information, even the next button doesn’t really suits well, it feels like it’s apart of the background frame, it should be considered as the primary thing to do.

Perhaps you should inspire yourself in checking actual game tutorials, to make it much more interesting, it often comes along with a short animation and some kind of mascott, so it will shows like it’s some “events” interactive instead of a annoying message people have to close.

be sure that the tutorial itself is fun to do, first-impression on new players is very important.

4 Likes

The UI will come with a camera tween to each area, I will also be sure to add a back button!

1 Like

Alright, just be sure to remember that there are obviously players that do not read the tutorial at all, if the current camera plans explains the game activites overall, you should be fine,

Otherwise, each domain should have their own icon and activity “title” to describe them in literally just 2-3 big TextLabel as they were some main quest goals.

i’m pointing out some obvious stuff, but i am 100% not aware of what you’re making, so i’d better making sure of everything.

EDIT : some players can’t read aswell

1 Like

Thanks! I am going to research more on the topic of game tutorials and how to best inform and entertain my users!

Updated UI:

I don’t know anything about scripting or ui creating. But my personal opinion would be to sorta “Force” the tutorial on them if the game really requires it. So basically a cooldown on how many times you can click “next”. So this way they will have to read it and understand whats going on instead of just throwing out the tutorial completely.

Unless you have done this already. Or I could be completely wrong about this. Just stating my opinion.

It kinda seems crammed in, perhaps make the next and back buttons images and put them at the bottom of the frame, half on and half off so that it doesnt look so crammed and is more popping out and obvious. Images are also easily recognisable than words as well.

You should make the back button a lighter red, but not to light it mixes in with the main UI.

Small edit, but the ‘W’ in ‘Welcome’ should be uncapitalized and it should be ‘press’, not ‘pressed’. For people like me, it makes the entire thing look much better :wink:

First of all, I think the current UI is definitely decent, but all of the information seems quite snug and compact together. I would also try to make the next button just a little bit smaller, I don’t think it needs to be stretched that much.

If I was to offer any sort of creative direction, maybe getting a photo render of your avatar in a bubble, so that you’re almost talking to the player throughout the tutorial might help to make it more quirky.

download

Different bubbles communicate a different message.
Let’s say you’re passively talking, you’d want one that’s quite rounded.
However, should the mood change, you might want to change up the bubbles. Just be careful how you fit words within the text.

1 Like

A “text” based tutorial isn’t necessarily that bad if it doesn’t go in-depth, avoid using complex vocabulary that the average user doesn’t use on a daily basis. Many players once they hear “Tutorial” their natural instinct is to just click through it without reading.

Instead of bland wording try to be creative with the writing I.e being “Greetings young traveler, you must be the great [jnsert username here] that I’ve heard so much about” “Before you can take on the fierce fire breathing dragon you must first prove you’re worthy of welding the blade of power. Hit that decoy over there x amount of times then report back to me”

Another example would be something similar to this

1 Like

I think you should rephrase all of that. It should be "Hello {Player Name} Welcome to {Game name} I am going to teach you the basics of the game. Press next to continue.

Or something familiar.

I know there are typos and I said that above that I typed this really fast just as text to show.

Yeah I am trying my best to make it entertaining.

Tip #1: Don’t add a tutorial.

Seriously. Tutorials turn players off. Just ease them into the gameplay and things should be fine. If you need to explain what to do, your game’s probably gonna bomb.

1 Like

Well that varies on how self explanatory the game mechanics are. If it’s a successor of an already known title I.e being the generic simulators that continue to be recycled than yes a tutorial isn’t necessary.

However if it’s untested, unfamiliar mechanics that I’ve never been exposed to before in the past then a tutorial is absolutely necessary. I.e being PokĂ©mon, if I wasn’t informed via tutorial how to fight,capture,purchase items to advance throughout my journey I would’ve struggled to complete the game.

1 Like

Eh. No one is going to remember all that from reading a tutorial. It’s important to make doing those tasks as easy and intuitive as possible so that it makes sense to the player.

Instead of forcing them into a tutorial, hold their hand a bit in the game. Always have the controls visible (like in Jailbreak). Use text sparingly. Make the first level they’re in easy.

If players need to learn a mechanic, they shouldn’t have to go through a tutorial to do so. They’ll have more fun just getting into the game and learning themselves.

2 Likes

The tutorial isn’t forced, It is just an NPC you walk up to.