Containment Facility Architecture

Taken from a serious SCP genre game project of mine. This composition uses a combination of meshes (mostly consists of those) and Roblox CSG parts. Post-processing effects (such as the lens flare visual effect) are controlled by a separate script, although on these pictures are applied manually in a third party program (as the programming part of the game is in a completely different studio project until the game architecture is finished).

This was an experiment with a goal of creating an immersive experience which would be optimized enough to exist in an action-packed roleplay. Absence of miscellaneous details is reasoned by the unfinished state of the general facility layout (the logic is to shape the whole game, then to fill it up with secondary detail).

Visual showcase 😯

P.S. devForum compressed the images whilst uploading them. Quality of the pictures may be slightly messed up.

8 Likes

You’re building great atmosphere, but the orange sign is throwing me off. Why not try illuminating the logo with physical spotlights to create a similar effect that is grounded more in reality? Lose the neon, make it metallic or plastic and let the highlights and shadows from a light source to the hard work. Regardless, you’ve got some great lighting around the place that isn’t totally overblown or dark as hell.

That’s an awful idea. Ever heard of neon signs? They are meant to be a source of light rather than something that would be illuminated.

I love this. Very good work, would love to see more.

2 Likes

Neon signs usually consist of pipes and are suspended/floating. In your case, I would put metal or visible suspension behind the sign if it isn’t already. Neon text perpendicular to a brick wall is kinda awkward.

I am unfortunately not at my computer at the moment (thus unable to provide a picture of a closer perspective), although there is a metal shape mimicking the shape of the sign which is right behind it, attached to the wall. It’d be stupid to use neon without a frame for if, I fully agree.

Alright, that sound’s good. Glad to see it wasn’t overlooked.

A reasonable response to constructive criticism. My exact point was that you did choose to use neon as your light source, and it doesn’t mesh well with the rest of your aesthetic. Consider almost every single SCP game ever, and how they look. Boring corridors full of neutral colors with a robust design that leans into “so-realistic-it-hurts.” The good ones (not those dev log ones that lead nowhere) don’t use cop-out neon everywhere because they understand what they’re doing, particularly games off-platform. However, since most SCP developers on Roblox are between the ages of 14 and 17 (comes with the territory), they love using neon because it’s the easy choice. Want to stand out? Lose the attitude, put in a miniscule amount of extra effort, and try something different.

1 Like

It’s great, the only thing I’d suggest is that you maybe play around with the neon sign’s positioning and light influence.