Content Tagging, Tag Searching

Content tagging is an incredibly crucial part of any platform, and a staple of a vast number of websites and platforms. It is as much a marketing tool as it is a discovery tool. Tagging is what allows people to search for the things they are interested in, and find things similar to what they are looking for. This is a benefit for both the developers, and users. Picture an individual who enjoys 2D platformers, made either by high end studios, or small passion projects developed by much smaller teams, or even one individual alone. Searching just the text “2D Platformer” brings up several random games, usually only the ones that have “2D Platformer” in the title, diluting the pool from every other game that can be found (Fig 1, generic results).

This means that unless you give your place a generic name that includes the tags you want, your game will be incredibly hard to find and very low in the search pool, making discoverability almost impossible. Tagging alleviates this issue, allowing you to instead search for games that contain the tags “2D” and “Platformer” (and not the generic Sci-Fi, Action, … game type selector). This will show a variety of different games that have the aesthetic and style that you might be looking for, and give you a much better search pool with games that might peak your interest more than a generic place made with free assets titled “2D Platformer”. The algorithm may even be adjusted to prefer games that have a unique name compared to the tags.

Tagging is not only something that would be applicable to games, but it would also work for clothing. Finding certain types of clothes is very impractical, again, searching based on the titles and sometimes descriptions, rather than the actual critical information of the assets. Usually, creators will just dump all of their keywords/tags in the description, but this is unnecessary and could be streamlined into a more effective process. Again, creators would be free to name their outfits whatever they want, i.e. “Galaxy Fit Pants” and could tag them with “sweatpants, space, purple, pants, athletic” such that people would be easily able to stumble upon the clothes when looking for the types of clothes that they would prefer to wear on their character. You could very easily find matching clothes by searching things such as “sport, red” and “business, blue OR dark” and “casual, light”, or even choose between various kinds of crop-tops, jeans, hoodies… (Fig 2, google search) (Fig 3, inappropriate results in catalog)

Roblox is one of the largest platforms in the media industry, but somehow a system for properly tagging and discovering content has never been properly and fully implemented. It would be great to see how people find new content and engage with developers and creators if such a system would be implemented.

47 Likes

I agree with this post wholeheartedly, but I advise to Roblox to do it ethically!

Many platforms fall under criticism when they target specific tags to users, because it allows for abuse of the tagging system. Otherwise, it’s a powerful tool that can drastically improve the experience for players and discovery for developers.

My only concern is that it won’t be in their business model; when I asked David Baszucki at RDC if a genre filtering system would make an appearance in the future, he answered with “that’s a hard question,” which doesn’t strike confidence. I imagine that response applies to tagging as well.

16 Likes

Bumping because I feel that it is even more relevant now, particularly for the catalog.

According to roblox, over 90% of all accessories in the catalog are UGC, pplications are open at all times, creators don’t have a limit on how many accessories they can upload at once, and, just recently, UGC limiteds have been released.

With all this in mind, there are a lot of accessories that can get lost in the sea of the catalog, as searching is not 100% reliable. This is further extended by the fact that roblox limits how many results can appear in a single query.

Alongside that, some UGC creators give multiple of their creations the same name.Take this for example:

I mean no offense to GENKROCO, I am just using this as an example.

As you can see, all three of the caps have the exact same name, but a different appearance. If you know the name of the accessory, it can be easy to find. If you don’t, and only remember what they looked like, it can be very difficult to find them. If you search for “cap”, you will get a bunch of other unrelated accessories in the catalog, or might not even find them because you’ve reached the result limit. Tags can address this.

Here’s a proof of concept I’ve created.

As you can see, the tags describe properties of the accessory, such as the hat type, texture, aesthetic, and color. Also with tags, you can reduce the amount words in the accessory title and description. This can also apply to clothing as well, both layered and classic.

The biggest issue I can see with a tag system is that it could be abused, much like how titles and descriptions are in the clothing catalog. To prevent most of it, I think a limit to how many tags can be listed on an asset could be imposed.

I actually have a new tagging feature on my pc on the website. I don’t know if anyone else has it though.

1 Like

Do you have any images of the tagging feature?

1 Like

I think there actually currently is a tagging system in place but it’s completely automatic, and It simply detects the colours and styles of the clothes. As far as I know, people can’t place their own tags on clothes, which is very bizarre. It would absolutely make hunting for specific genres much easier instead of only having the general tags that Roblox has.